Fondant Question...premade Or Homemade?

Decorating By dst10spr97 Updated 8 Jan 2011 , 2:33am by sugarandstuff

dst10spr97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dst10spr97 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 10

Do most of you make your own fondant, for example I see MMF mentioned alot or do you buy premade? If you buy premade what brands do you like to use, if its okay to name them.

9 replies
grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 10

I make mine. It is much cheaper and not a whole lot of trouble. However, it works your Kitchenaid pretty hard.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 10

I make my own with the exception of any dark colors like red/black/navy blue. Those I buy. You have to use way too much coloring to get those colors. But I also don't use my KA to make mine. I do it all by hand, like you would bread. I found out that using the KA didn't give me the "feel" I needed to have to know when there was enough powdered sugar kneaded in. So I do that by hand. And, yes, it's miles cheaper than buying and usually tastes miles better too!

Cat

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 10:41pm
post #4 of 10

I use Jennifer Dontz's recipe - candy clay and premade fondant. So it is a combo homemake & premade.

KarisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarisCakes Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 10

I make mmf by hand to cover my cakes. It's cheap and tastes good. Then I make decorations out of wilton store bought fondant. I know it doesn't taste as good, but it gets rock hard. Usually people pick those parts off anyway.

missyd4e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyd4e Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 10

I use Satin Ice. I have tried making my own many times and I just can't get a consistancy that I like.
I LOVE Satin Ice. It is more expensive but it is a for sure when I put it on my cake. HTH

dst10spr97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dst10spr97 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 10

Is the shelf life of fondant that's premade?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 2:02am
post #8 of 10

I make my own because it's cheaper, and I can avoid the fake vanilla flvaoring sicnce I don't like it.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 2:25am
post #9 of 10

I make my own (MFF) because it's less expensive and I can control what's in it more so than premade. It doesn't take too long to make it and the best part it's yummy!!

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 2:33am
post #10 of 10

I also make my own with the exception of dark colors - they just don't work out well for me once I add all the coloring you need to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%