Suspending Figures Above Cake

Decorating By ronronneuse Updated 8 Jan 2011 , 3:05pm by ronronneuse

ronronneuse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ronronneuse Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, a friend has asked for a trampoline cake with some jumping kids suspended in the air. I've seen cakes with things hovering on wires, but don't know what kind of wire everyone uses. Also, if I do figures out of gumpaste or fondant, it seems like they will be SO heavy! Even RKT seems like too heavy a material to suspend with wire. What has worked for you in the past? And sorry if this is a well-covered topic in the forum--I did a few searches, and each time I clicked on a link, I got an error message...
Thanks in advance,
Sarah

6 replies
ronronneuse Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 12:01am
post #2 of 7

Ok, I finally got into some of the forum topics (maybe the internet problems we've been having were the cause of the error messages)--I see that people are using florist wire of various gages, with straws and candy sticks. So the question now is: are the sticks to secure the wire into the cake, or to secure the figure to the wire (or both)?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 12:19am
post #3 of 7

The straws go into the cake, then the wire goes into the straw. The other end of the wire goes into the decoration.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 12:31am
post #4 of 7

I went to lowes and found an 18 and 16 gauge wire that is supposed to be "food safe" meaning it contains no poisonous metals like lead. Id still keep it on the safe side and use the straw idea, but what about wrapping the wires in saran wrap? anyone done that before?

ronronneuse Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 12:36am
post #5 of 7

Ok, I'm still just hoping someone will assure me that the wire can hold the weight of a little fondant (or rkt + fondant) personage a few inches high... do I have anything to worry about?

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 5:46am
post #6 of 7

Wire comes in lots of different gauges (thicknesses) and you just use a thicker one for a heavier item. The size of the figure, the length of the wire, and how much "bounce" you want all affect the choice of gauge. But yes, you can get a strong enough wire to hold your figures. icon_smile.gif

ronronneuse Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 3:05pm
post #7 of 7

Ok, thanks a lot, everyone; I appreciate your input.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%