Explosion/burst Cake Without Fondant?

Decorating By hollyml Updated 7 May 2011 , 7:09am by hollyml

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 9:43pm
post #1 of 9

I want a cake that looks like it's exploding into flame, and I have some ideas that involve using the "burst" technique (where there are sort of triangles of fondant folded back from an opening in the middle of the cake) with melted-hard-candy "fire" instead of or in addition to stars on wires sticking out of the middle.

But my son (whose birthday cake this will be) is not a fan of fondant. Anyone ever made a "burst" effect with buttercream? Maybe the folded-back triangles could be piped with a leaf tip or something like that? Is it time to learn to use modeling chocolate? Other ideas?

TIA
Holly

8 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 9

ive never worked with buttercream so i cant answer, but my best guess would be for you to just have a small practise sometime before you do the cake to see if it works in buttercream first , if all else fails, Try modelling chocolate lol icon_smile.gif X

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 9

I used dried fondant triangles for my Elmo surprise cake and they stayed. The Elmo was color flow with lollipop supports. It stayed fine in the BC iced cake.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1908327.html

You could use melted candy melts to make flames and fire bursts and support them with lollipop sticks. For the star wire effect you could get a flower pick and hot glue all of your wires into that and that should probably work too.

Good luck.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 10:23pm
post #4 of 9

you could try color flow. make your flames ahead of time and let them dry then you could place them upright where you need them and color flow is yummy. I add vanilla to mine.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 1:00am
post #5 of 9

I made my son's cake with buttercream and the "burst" was fondant triangles. It worked great! I placed them on the cake and used papertowel to keep the shape until they dried (Buttercream was crusted).
Hope that helps!
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1699006

hollyml Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 5:27am
post #6 of 9

I'm pleasantly surprised by how good the transition from the BC icing to the fondant triangles looks! Maybe that will work.

Color flow isn't something I've done before...that's basically thinned royal icing, yes? You pipe it into the outline and then let it harden...on wax paper?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 5:43am
post #7 of 9

Candy melt chocolate clay will work like fondant, and will be a whole lot tastier.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 2:51am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyml

Color flow isn't something I've done before...that's basically thinned royal icing, yes? You pipe it into the outline and then let it harden...on wax paper?

yup. you can make the outline thicker and make the flow panels thicker that way. sorry if this doesnt make sense I am wrangling a puppy and trying to type. icon_lol.gif

hollyml Posted 7 May 2011 , 7:09am
post #9 of 9

I just realized it's been way too long since I checked in here at CC, and I never uploaded a photo of the explosion cake! Rectified now, in case anyone is interested.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2026605

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%