How Do I Get Confectioners Glaze Off My Brush?!

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 9 Jan 2011 , 12:44am by 4laynes

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 8

I tried confectioners glaze for the first time and it's excellent, but when I tried to rinse it off my brush, it hardened. I also have it on my hands (I had mixed it with color). What do I use to get it off?

TIA!

7 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 8

You need confectioners glaze cleaner (no really, it really is called that!) Basically it's Isopropyl Alcohol. You can normally buy it at the place you buy the glaze, in fact I don't know why staff in stores don't recommend you buy it when they see you buying the glaze! Also see here:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6720366&sid=e7fc7c51fb31342653f2dcf828a3381b

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 2:33am
post #3 of 8

Or use a cheap brush, and just throw it out when you're done. Those are the only 2 options.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 9:00am
post #4 of 8

Decorator's alcohol/rose spirits...start by using just a couple drops of it on the brush, massage it in a bit, add a few drops more & massage that in, then you can swish the brush in a very small amount of it in a little jar, and when it's clean give it a little rinse in bit more clean alcohol. Gradually introducing the alcohol works for me.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 9:06am
post #5 of 8

in the uk you can also buy isopropyl alcohol in chemists.
xx

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 12:23am
post #6 of 8

Ok, at the risk of sounding dense - I get the feeling you're not talking about powdered sugar and milk. What is confectioners glaze? icon_redface.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 12:32am
post #7 of 8

Soak it in pure acetone or nail polish remover and it will be as good as new. Then wash it with soap and water.
Confectionary Glaze is a glaze that is sort of a laquer that can be used on gumpaste, fondant, etc. to make it shiny 4laynes. When you did gumpaste flowers in it you can blend petal dusts and give a nice effect. But if you get your brush into it, it stiffens up and makes it unusable.

4laynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4laynes Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 12:44am
post #8 of 8

Ooooh. Okay, that makes more sense. Can you make this or do you buy it at a cake supply?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%