Ideas On How To Make The Ring Box With Lid Propped Open

Decorating By wildflower Updated 8 Jan 2011 , 8:50pm by sweetjane

wildflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflower Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:53am
post #1 of 7

Hi!

wow ive been away so long from this site[posting i mean], so many life changes and i havent done any cakes in a long time. Anyway, someone asked me to make mini ring box cakes and gave me a picture for their inspiration. The main idea is to make the ring box with the lid but ive been searching on here for a long time trying all types of searches on mini cakes etc and have come up with nothing! If anyone has any tips especially on how to make the lid please direct me, i hope i can upload the picture!
I know that ill have to use fondant, ive gathered that making a large sheet cakes and then cutting that will be more time effective [only have to make 15-20 of them]. I think i would fill the cakes, cut into squares, then crumb coat. Then cover with fondant,correct? someone who had done mini cakes please let me know what you do
thanks so much in advanceicon_smile.gif

6 replies
wildflower Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:57am
post #2 of 7

pic didnt upload, ill try again
hope it works this time icon_redface.gif

wildflower Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:56am
post #3 of 7

yea so....the posting of the picture is not going well....i dont know whats going wrong because im trying to add as an attachment. Any ideas?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 10:48am
post #4 of 7

there is a bug witt the forums that you can't add pictures right now. Can you post it in flickr or another free web host and post a link to it?

As for your box lid question i typed out some instructions on how i did it on one of my cakes. Some people use cake as the lid and cover it as mentioned, since you're doing little boxes i would probably do it with gumpaste as i explain in this thread. Mini cakes are hard enough, i wouldn't do a smaller one for the lid.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-684319-lid.html+square+fondant

wildflower Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 7

Hi Leily,

Thank you so much for the link, im going to look over it nowicon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 7
sweetjane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjane Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 7

This is one I did last year. It's 5" and the top is made from styrofoam and skewered into the bottom.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1788717

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%