Cake For Open House

Decorating By janbarber Updated 14 Jan 2011 , 3:59am by pixiefuncakes

janbarber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbarber Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 8

I need to make a cake for an open house and my friend wants a house cake. any suggestions?

7 replies
valeo75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valeo75 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 8

Sorry, I have never heard of a cake for an open house, so I am a little awe struck by the idea. Wondering if your friend's mind could be swayed away from the house idea?

If I were going to an open house, I would be looking at the decor/space/possibilities. Maybe you could do something like a basket cake with fruit, a crate cake with bottles of wine, or maybe replicate a piece of art that may be in the house.

Good luck! Let us know what you come up with, would love to see the end result!

ponderiffic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ponderiffic Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 8

Wilton makes a house cake pan you could use to make a 3d house. Although, drawing a house on a sheet cake would even easier.
What about a sheet cake with a key on a ribbon with something like " welcome home"?

Good luck! Let us know what you decide.
icon_smile.gif

Sucrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sucrea Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 8

I did this house cake for my brother's house warming. It was one of the first cakes that I did with fondant so not the greatest. I tried to match the outside with what his home looks like such as the smoker/BBQ, flower pot ect. If the link doesn't work, the picture is in my photos! Good luck!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1620802.html

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valeo75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valeo75 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 8

Wow, I had no idea house cakes were so popular for Open Houses. Some of those links are very cool.

I stand corrected............Totally see now (after looking at some fo the pictures) how a house cake is applicable to an open house.

Thanks for sharing guys!

m_mckinney1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_mckinney1 Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 3:34am
post #7 of 8

I agree a house shaped cake would be fun to make, and fun to look at. However, think about how much time will spent to construct it, and how quickly it will be destroyed. With an open house, generally people come and go and various times, so only the first few will get to enjoy the entire cake before it is cut to be eaten. Just a thought icon_smile.gif

pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 14 Jan 2011 , 3:59am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_mckinney1

I agree a house shaped cake would be fun to make, and fun to look at. However, think about how much time will spent to construct it, and how quickly it will be destroyed. With an open house, generally people come and go and various times, so only the first few will get to enjoy the entire cake before it is cut to be eaten. Just a thought icon_smile.gif

I agree with that, what about cupcakes with little houses on them? That way they will look nice for whoever comes through and less mess etc with cutting

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%