Rolling Out Satin Ice To Cover A Cake....

Decorating By sumerae Updated 7 Jan 2011 , 2:18am by icer101

sumerae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sumerae Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 10

So which is better to keep it from sticking to a mat, crisco (thin layer) on the surface or PS or Cornstarch?

9 replies
visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 10

I find that crisco works best with satin ice

holliellen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliellen Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 10

I like cornstarch.....ha ha...I guess try both and decide what you like the best!

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 10

I've used all three at one time or another but most of the time I use Crisco now. I usually use Choco-pan fondant to cover cakes, and it rolls out great with a thin coat of Criso on my mat.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 10

I have used all 3, crisco, PS and cornstarch. DEFINITE NO on the cornstarch, dried it waay too much, the crisco works best because it tends to dry quickly anyways, but if it is a bit humid in area you are working, LIGHTLY sprinkle the powdered sugar over the crisco-ed surface. Thats how I always do it...works great for me, and work quick, it will dry out and crack faster with the sugar or cornstarch. I live in south MS, so humidity is a huge problem btw...you may not need the sugar at all! just try and test to see what works best for you!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 10

since satin ice dries so fast,(elephant skin), i would use the crisco on a mat, roll fast even then, and work fast to get it on your cake, etc. hth

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 1:47am
post #7 of 10

I recently read on here that someone used the shiny side of freezer paper. Tried it and it worked like a charm-no crisco, cornstarch or powdered sugar.

trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:00am
post #8 of 10

I don't use anything at all on my mats.... and I use primarily Satin Ice. Never have any problem at all, and I use top and bottom mat, so no air really hits it to dry out.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:05am
post #9 of 10

I use Crisco - buuuuuttttt... the last time I used spray butter (an off-brand of PAM. The cake didn't have to be white white) and I loved it! It did tint the fondant ever so slightly - but not enough to mean anything. But it definitely was not a bright white cake.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:18am
post #10 of 10

I have a cake friend that uses the shiny side of freezer paper. She loves it. I haven,t tried that yet, but now i will.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%