Standing Pint Of Guinness Cake

Decorating By Crazy4Bay Updated 13 Jan 2011 , 5:19pm by sabriana

Crazy4Bay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy4Bay Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 2

I've been dying to do one of these ever since I started taking cake classes. I'm finally going to attempt it.

My plan is to make several round layers of pound cake, stack & carve them into a pint glass shape. I then need to choose bc or fondant.

I'm concerned about not getting a deep enough brown with bc, even if I make chocolate. So that leads me to think fondant. Here's where my question comes in:

For those of you who have done one, how do you cover the cake with fondant with respect to the head at the top of the glass? Do you just wrap the brown around the glass and then top the cake with ivory fondant and it to fit flush against the top of the brown? That's the only way I can think of to do it, not being very experienced. (I've only been doing this for about 6 months and not a ton of experience with fondant)

My next question is, what consistency do I want my RI to be for piping the logo? I plan to pipe onto waxed paper and have a printout of the logo underneath to trace.

I'd like to try it out a couple of times between now and March so when St. Patrick's Day rolls around, I'll feel confident in executing one.

Thanks for any input!

1 reply
sabriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabriana Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 2

Wish I had put a picture of the 3D one I did up here but I haven't. Have a 2D one - but its dreadful - was experimenting years ago... icon_redface.gif

But here's my 2cents worth...

Depeding on how high you are making yours, remember to support each 4 layers. You can get to dark brown that very closely resembles Guinness by using a SMBC and dark brown food colouring and a small bit of black thrown in. I have the most success with the fondant - but I draped the whole cake in fondant - was worried that wrapping would fall. Then I placed a circle of cream fondant on top. - MFF when I make it is the perfect cream colour!

Finally, I did a RI transfer for the logo - but I then had to pipe over it - mine was too small for it to show up properly. My RI was medium consistency - but I froze it to get it hard fast. The ot

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%