Faux Spiral Cake?

Decorating By Jaieni Updated 7 Jan 2011 , 4:56am by cupadeecakes

Jaieni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaieni Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 2:11am
post #1 of 4

I have a cake to do for next Saturday and I really want to do a spiral cake but I do not have the time or money to practice or make any major mistakes.
Anyone have any ideas to fake out a spiral cake? The cake will not be fondant covered, but iced with buttercream with 50/50 figures.
It's a Winter Onderland theme for a first birthday. I want something to kinda recreate our inspiration cake (below) I think I will be making a 12" round three 2" layers and 8" round three 2" layers. I have to feed 50 people.

I want to create that illusion of a penguin sliding down some snow.

3 replies
myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:23am
post #2 of 4

I thought styrofoam but I having issues with it touching the real cake and whether it will also like the buttercream enough that it eats though it. In this case, you could slice off a wedge like the second cake, which is bc also or go to youtube and watch a few of the topsy turvy videos and go from there.

Jaieni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaieni Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:36am
post #3 of 4

I was JUST checking to see if any responses came in. I think I may just slice off a small wedge. I have cake anxiety so taking risks so close to the event worries me lol

I'm saving the Topsy Turvy for another day. Have the dvd but also going to take a class later in the month.

Thank you for responding!

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 4:56am
post #4 of 4

It's really not hard to do. I have done all mine in buttercream. I would ice them perfectly, then
Stack them, then carve the slide, crumb coat it, chill, and ice it pretty. I have also done a couple where
It was one big mountain with the road going around it ( no distinct tiers). Best of luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%