Buttercream/chocolate/royal Icing Transfers?which Is Better?

Decorating By ivymeister Updated 17 Jan 2011 , 3:30pm by Mama_Mias_Cakes

ivymeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivymeister Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 14

I'm working on a hello kitty cake and i wanted to know which is best to do? Buttercream, Royal icing or chocolate transfer? I dont want to use an edible image, i want to try something new this time? Anybody that can give me there thoughts or your experience with either of these would be soooo greatly appreciated!! icon_lol.gif

13 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 14

I think they all work great, but have different looks to them.

If you want something to stand up on the cake, then you want to do the royal icing or the chocolate.

If you want something that can be done quickly and used not too long then I'd do the chocolate or the fbct. Royal icing transfers have to try for 24-48 hours.

Fbct and chocolate transfers are flat flat. Royal icing transfers because of the outling and fill in have a little be more demininsion to them.

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 14

good post I recently was asking some questions about these, after you deside wh/ one your doing I'd love for you to up date this and tell me wh/ one and why and how easy it was (or was not) to do.

If you have the time.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 14

I personally have done more FBCTs than the other two. Mainly because I'm a last minute person. icon_smile.gif I have done several royal icing transfers as well. And I did do some small flower chocolate transfers a few years ago.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 14

I'm partial to chocolate transfers. They're quick, easy and very fun to do. In my pix I did a team safari baby shower cake using chocolate transfers to replicate the animals. I had more fun on that cake than I have in a looooooong time!! icon_biggrin.gif

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 14

well it really depends on the look you are going for and how you want them on the cake.
I used to do alot fo FBCT and if I and looking for a big design to be the focus of the cake and easy to cut through, I do the FBCT
If I am doing a few characters and I want them to stand up or to put on the sides of cakes then I do RI transfers - they are my personal fav.
I haven't worked much with chocolate transfers as I only recently ordered the special coloring for chocolate, my local cake store didn't carry any.

ivymeister Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:39am
post #7 of 14

Thanks everybody for your thoughts...I think I'm down to either RI transfer or chocolate!! The whimsical bakehouse book is giving me some inspiration to attempt using chocolate, but I'm still not sure, since i really like a clean looking cake. I'm going to experiment this weekend and make my final decision. I will be sure to post a picture of how it comes out. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:25am
post #8 of 14

If you need any pointers on the chocolate, PM me and I'll try to help.

ivymeister Posted 9 Jan 2011 , 1:43am
post #9 of 14

i did my test run today of the hello kitty transfer...it came out okay..but i dont know how to post the picture in this forum?? icon_sad.gif

mikimouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikimouse Posted 13 Jan 2011 , 7:16am
post #10 of 14

I have done RI in the past and just did my first chocolate this week. It is currently drying (will place on cake on Saturday). I found chocolate/candy a lot more fun and easier because all you have to do is melt the chocolate. icon_biggrin.gif I am very excited to see what it looks like once I turn it over but I am nervous about lifting it off the plastic as it is thinner than an RI transfer. Any tips for how to do this? My image is large (about 10 in x 6 in) Thanks

ivymeister Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 12:05am
post #11 of 14

Once it was dry I put more chocolate on the back to make it a little thicker and strong and used a popsickle stick so it could stand up on the cake. Worked perfect.

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 12:06am
post #12 of 14

You did the chocolate transfer? How did you like it? (I fell in love with them the first time I did them!) icon_biggrin.gif

ivymeister Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 5:36am
post #13 of 14

Yes...I have to say...I did enjoy making the chocolate transfer...everybody loved it as well..it was my gift for my friends daughter...you can see the final outcome of the cake in my pictures. It worked out well. A few of the moms at the party were asking me if i could make there childrens birthday cakes too! icon_wink.gif

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 17 Jan 2011 , 3:30pm
post #14 of 14

I love the chocolate too. You can see in my pics that I use it quite a bit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%