What Do I Coat A Cake Dummy With?

Decorating By Bossy Updated 6 Jan 2011 , 9:32pm by tryingcake

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 14

What goes on the dummy before I apply the fondant? Is there a way to do it so that the dummy can be cleaned easily and used again? Making my first wedding cake and I want to use a dummy for the bottom layer of a 4 tier cake (do not need that much cake to serve).

13 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 14

You can cover it in sticky back plastic, not sure what it's called in the US. In the UK I use a brand called "Fablon".

To adhere the fondant to the dummy, you can use :

Water
Buttercream/ganache/royal icing other such mediums as you would with a real cake
Piping gel
A preserve thinned with boiling water
Tylose Glue
Thinned Glucose
Crisco

There are probably more but can't think of any at the minute. Water is better if you want the finish to last as it's least likely to make the fondant go "off" (break down, mould etc..) It's all personal preference really. Using water would be the easiest to clean once you've removed the fondant,

HTH

Bossy Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks, I read a post a long time ago about prepping cake dummies, but I could not find it! I'm thinking that our "Press n Seal" food wrap might work and I'll just use the butter cream that's on other layers to go under the fondant.

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 12:15am
post #4 of 14

I wrap my dummies with plastic wrap, so it can be reused. I coat the plastic covered dummy with Wilton clear piping gel. When I no longer need the dummy cake I peel the fondant off, peel the plastic wrap and the dummy is good as new!

sherry_lyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherry_lyn Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 12:31am
post #5 of 14

I personally wouldn't do a coating of buttercream.

I have just misted the dummy with water & I've brushed on piping gel & both of those options work fine. i think the piping gel was alittle better than the water, but that's just personal preference. I just put the dummies in the dishwasher & run it & when it's done they are completely cleaned.

Good luck. icon_smile.gif

pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 12:49am
post #6 of 14

We use a mix of corn syrup and liquid glucose. but you could use corn syrup. just make sure to get it really thin. it's pretty sticky, so you have to work carefully, but once it dries it doesn't go anywhere. its also easy to clean, just pull off the fondant and run under hot water. or like sherry_lyn said, run em through the dishwasher

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 1:42am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissfulbaker

I wrap my dummies with plastic wrap, so it can be reused.

A dummy can be reused even if it is directly decorated with buttercream, fondant or royal icing. You just have to wash it in warm water. But wrapping it in plastic wrap makes it easier to clean as you mentioned.

Bossy Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 1:50am
post #8 of 14

I have lots of piping gel & corn syrup! Like the idea of using the dishwasher to clean it afterwards. Thank you all for the advice. I just finished up 30 black roses and started the silver leaves. Balck, silver and red themed wedding. I'll post a picture when the cake is finished.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 2:14am
post #9 of 14

I jut use a spritz of wateer under he fondant. Some of my dummies must be 8 years old or more. I just wash and reuse.

DaPom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaPom Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 2:56am
post #10 of 14

I did dummies for the first time last month and I used press-n-seal to cover them, then a little bit of buttercream frosting under the fondant - just enough to make it cling to the plastic wrap.

Now I'll piggy back a question - the fondant is HARD now. Should I chip it off or soak it in the bathtub first?

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 3:16am
post #11 of 14

Another "Dummy" question, how do I keep them clean and from fading? I've made a few and they are losing their color, and they are not in direct sunlight. Should I have coated them with something? Also they pick up dust, which I dust with a soft brush, but it still adheres. Can I use some shortening to wipe them down?

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 4:29am
post #12 of 14

No!!! No Buttercream! I did that once and it was stinky... yes STINKY. It was horrible. I have no clue why. I made a decorator's icing (BC with no butter). I don;t know idf that ever happened to anyone else, but it was horrible.

as far keeping their freshness - total darkness. Not just away from sunlight. I keep mine in a closet. No issues. If they are going to be on display (even without sunlight), I just accept that they will fade.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 2:43pm
post #13 of 14

I now use crisco under my fondant on dummies. I massage it onto the dummy and apply the fondant. It makes the fondant very easy to peel off, even after several months. I then wash the dummy in the dishwasher or under hot water with dishsoap.

Rae

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 9:32pm
post #14 of 14

I've not had luck hand washing mine with just soap. Never even considered the dishwasher.. that's works? Cool!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%