Frustrated With Fondant

Decorating By ZaveyCakes Updated 5 Jan 2011 , 9:28pm by Scarlets-Cakes

ZaveyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZaveyCakes Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 8

I've tried using fondant twice on my cakes with the same frustrationg result.. I used it on an 8in round the first time and a 9in round the second time and both times the top edge of the cakes were round instead of the shape of the cake prior to the fondant being laid. Please tell me what im doing wrong!!

Also i have been told that the fondant is a little difficult to cut through and it smashes the cake. Is it too thick or what? I could really use some tips.

Thanks

7 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 8

That's the nature of fondant... it causes the top edge to be more rounded rather than a nice crisp sharp edge.

ZaveyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZaveyCakes Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 8

Ok well i see on shows all the time when they roll the fondant out over the cake and the edges seem nice and angled but mine are NOWHERE close to that so i just wanted to know what i was doing wrong.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 8

Some people use ganache under their fondant to get very straight corners. Planet Cake book shows you how to do this.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 8

sharon zambit and jennifer dontz, has great dvd's , showing how to have nice edges and not round ones . When i first learned how to cover cakes with fondant,(16 yrs. ago). we had to make our edges round . That is how they are really suppose to look. I even have baking pans especiall for that. I guess times changes things. Look on sharonssugarshack.com. Her b/c cakes are so smooth , they look like fondant and her fondant cakes are fantastic also. I,ve seen many teacher teach this, but not like sharon. check out her dvd's . they are great. hth jennifer"s site is sugadelites.com

Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 8

have you tried marshmallow fondant? I find it easier to work with than regular fondant

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 9:08pm
post #7 of 8

i'm also trying to achieve crisp edges. i found a couple of things that are working for me:

1. make sure to first ice it with crisp edges. i'm finding it's much easier to get a straighter fondant shape if the buttercream underneath it is all smooth, level, and crisp.

2. after icing the cake, let it firm up in the fridge (i've been letting it sit overnight). the buttercream will be nice and firm as i apply the fondant

3. roll out your fondant thinner. i've been rolling on to a silicon mat and then flipping the whole thing on to the cake, then peeling the mat away. this helps me get the fondant thin but without the risk of tearing it when trying to transfer it.

4. pop those bubbles! i've been using a thin needle whenever i find a bubble under my fondant. prick a hole, encourage the air out, then smooth it back over.

Scarlets-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scarlets-Cakes Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 8

It could be two things:

1. The thickness of the fondant. The thinner it is, the more likely the crisp edge will "show"

2. The brand of pan you're using. Some pans have a more rounded finished edge to the cake.

Magic Line or Fat Daddio's have a more crisp edge to their pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%