Freezing Cakes=Bulging Butter Cream??

Decorating By KarisCakes Updated 6 Jan 2011 , 6:12am by Claire138

KarisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarisCakes Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 11

Hi Friends,
I am new to decorating. Recently I started freezing cakes before decorating so that they would be easier to stack etc. However, the last two layer cakes I made started to bulge the butter cream out the sides. I know I didn't put too much in. I am wondering if the cakes are "relaxing" as they thaw and therefore pushing the icing out. I really like freezing the cakes, because it causes so much less breaking. I'm not sure if this is just a coincidence.
Anyone have any experience in this area?

10 replies
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 11

I've never frozen cakes, so I can't say if that is causing your bulging. I refrigerate my cakes both before and after filling, icing & decorating. That helps them from settling and a cake cold from the fridge is easy to handle, not so sturdy as a frozen cake would be but still strong enough to move around.

KarisCakes Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 11

Fullhouse,
Do you worry that your cakes settle and bulge after you deliver them?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 11

Cakes settle as they thaw which tends to cause the icing to bulge between the layers.

Leah_s started a thread about this:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633571-trick.html

Hope you find it helpful.

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 11

I freeze my cakes all the time I also have had this problem what has worked for me is I take the cake out a few minuts before I frost then I crumb coat and it goes back in the firg. I let it set for a few minuts then frost and back in the frig and take out once it has set well and the frosting is nice and hard, then I will stack and back in the frig. This is what has worked for me. Nothing can mke one frustrated when you see that wonderful bulge. icon_sad.gif

visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 11

I freeze mine all the time but I allow them to cool completely out of the freezer and to settle a bit. Make sure your buttercream is stiff enough. A stiff butter cream should no buldge

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 11

I had the same problem. I was over filling them(I LOVE filling) and not using a stiff enough buttercream. Haven't had another problem since I corrected this.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarisCakes

Fullhouse,
Do you worry that your cakes settle and bulge after you deliver them?

I fill my cakes the day before I decorate. Wrap them well in Press n Seal and put a baking sheet on the top. They settle overnight. I decorate, then back in the fridge until party time. For me, letting the cake set in the fridge once decorated firms everything up together and helps prevent sagging (esp. with fondant cakes).

KarisCakes Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 5:49am
post #9 of 11

Thanks everyone!

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 6:06am
post #10 of 11

since using leah_s's trick (http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633571-trick.html) i haven't had any problems with bulging- its awesome! i'd highly suggest you read this thread and follow her advice =D

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 6:12am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by manda_estrada

since using leah_s's trick (http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633571-trick.html) i haven't had any problems with bulging- its awesome! i'd highly suggest you read this thread and follow her advice =D

Can you explain exactly how to do this? I just read the thread but can't picture it - (early morning, on my first coffee). Do you wrap the cake entirely? if so, how do you remove the wrap? Also doesn't excess cream then go all over the cake? I've always worried about bulging so am happy to find a solution. Sorry for sounding so dense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%