Make Stuff From Rice Krispies & Cover With Gumpaste/fond

Decorating By newatcakes Updated 3 Mar 2018 , 2:38pm by lily2

newatcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newatcakes Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 14

Hello, I am making a shreks swamp cake for my daughters birthday. I have already posted a question about how far in advance I can make the stuff that is just gumpaste, but for shreks house and tree stumps I want to use rise krispie treats molded into the shape and cover. I dont know if I should use gumpaste or fondany to cover them though??? I also do not know how far in advance I can make them bc of the rice krispie treats? Can someone help me please??

13 replies
idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 12:09am
post #2 of 14

How far ahead are you wanting to make them? What's your fear with RKT, that they'll get stale? You could refrigerate them if that's your worry. I've never had a problem with fondant in the fridge. If you cover RKT with gumpaste I don't think anyone will want to eat them as the gum paste can get pretty hard.

newatcakes Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 12:14am
post #3 of 14

Im not worried about people eating them, however just incase someone wants to, if I make them with fondant the week before, will they be okay to eat?, I just wasnt sure how long they would hold up or if I could make them a week or so ahead of time. I thought fondant would be better so that it wouldnt crack...Can I store fondant in the fridge after the shapes are covered in it? Or should I just store them at room temp?

newatcakes Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 12:20am
post #4 of 14

I am getting ready to purchase the gumpaste and fondant. I was gonna get 2 lbs of brn fondant for the covering of the outhouse, shreks house, and tree stumps. Then 2lbs of gumpaste for shrek, donkey, cattails, rocks, lilly pads, etc. Any tips or advice before I get too into this..lol

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 12:25am
post #5 of 14

there's nothing in the RKT that will spoil in a week, so you're fine there. both fondant and gumpaste will harden after a week, so it's really a "what would you rather work with as you're sculpting?" kind of decision to make. just remember when working with RKT, mold it, cover it with chocolate (i like white almond bark), get it really smooth, and then cover it with your fondant/gumpaste. the chocolate will seal it and provide a smooth canvas for the rest of the decoration process! oh, and for the 'put it in fridge/leave on counter' part, it's up to you! but there's nothing in them that will need to be fridged, i assume?!

newatcakes Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 12:35am
post #6 of 14

Im glad you stated about the covering in chocoalte part because I had no idea. I have only ever worked with fondant once and it was just cutouts. Should i use melted choclate on them and then let it dry? I cant just cover the rkt right in fondant?

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 3:04am
post #7 of 14

you can cover the rkt just in fondant but unless you use a really thick layer you will see all of the rice bumps through the fondant. The chocolate allows you to create an even surface of the rkt before applying fondant.

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 3:30am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by microbiology1

you can cover the rkt just in fondant but unless you use a really thick layer you will see all of the rice bumps through the fondant. The chocolate allows you to create an even surface of the rkt before applying fondant.

exactly! and even if it's a really thick piece of fondant, it still just doesn't look as good as if you cover it in chocolate first. the goal is to have the chocolate fill in the gaps of the molded RKT. i actually cover mine twice. the first chocolate coating is like a crumb coat to seap in any gaps. the second coat is to really give a nice cover. then i freeze it (15min minimum). once frozen, i take it out and i trim away any rough edges, imperfections, thick spots, etc. until i am completely satisfied with the shape. i then roll my fondant, apply piping gel to the RKT and cover. if you don't have piping gel, a 50/50 mixture of corn syrup and water will do the trick too icon_smile.gif i've used this RKT technique on lots of my cakes in my pics...nike shoe, beer bottle, santas legs/shoes, etc.

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 3:48am
post #9 of 14

This may seem a stupid question...but I'm getting ready to make my first RKT figure myself. Do you dip the figure in the chocolate or spread it. I'm making a 3D barn.

newatcakes Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 6:23pm
post #10 of 14

What should I use for chocolate?

Queento2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queento2 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 6:38pm
post #11 of 14

OMG!!!! It never even dawned on me that you should cover the RKT in melted chocolate before covering it in fondant. I was wondering why my Twilight apple looked but bumpy and everybody else's "figures" that I'd seen which were RKT figures were all nice and smooth! That's why I come here. You learn something new everyday!!! Well, at least I do . icon_biggrin.gif

Best-I-Can Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Best-I-Can Posted 1 Mar 2018 , 7:45pm
post #12 of 14

Is buttercream not a vehicle to use in order to smooth out the RKT ?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Mar 2018 , 11:21pm
post #13 of 14

I always use melted chocolate because it sets up very firm and helps to hold the RKT's in place until they stabilize.

lily2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lily2 Posted 3 Mar 2018 , 2:38pm
post #14 of 14

Quote by @dmo4ab on 4 Jan 2011 , 7:48pm

This may seem a stupid question...but I'm getting ready to make my first RKT figure myself. Do you dip the figure in the chocolate or spread it. I'm making a 3D barn.

Just spread it on lightly and as smooth as you can. You just want to basically fill in all the crevices of the cereal to get a smooth finish. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%