Dream Whip Question

Baking By PersonalizedCupcakes Updated 15 Jan 2011 , 7:18pm by PersonalizedCupcakes

PersonalizedCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PersonalizedCupcakes Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 10

Hello, I found a great chapmagne cake recipe that used Dream Whip. I have never used Dream Whip before nor have ever made this recipe before, but the cake came out wonderfully - light and moist! I was wondering what Dream Whip does to a cake batter and if I should consider putting it into my other cake recipes.

Do any of you work with Dream Whip? Is it a staple for you? What does the Dream Whip actually contribute to a cake recipe?

Thank you for your input!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
SCNYCharlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCNYCharlie Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 10

I use the powdered packets of dream whip in all my cakes it gives the cake a nice fluffy moistness. I'd def. reccomend it. icon_biggrin.gif

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 10

I always wanted to know about dream whip in cake mix too, so now I googled and found this....

1 box dry cake mix (just the powder itself)
4 large eggs
1 cup water
1 package dream whip

Read more of this snippet here : http://www.practicallyedible.com/edible.nsf/pages/dreamwhip#ixzz1A4trbQXw

and here are 2 other threads about using dream whip, I have not read the comments (do not have too much time right now) but I thought you might find them useful.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-210839.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-20870-.html

HTH

Edited to add: There are a few variations for adding dream whip to cake mix. If any one has a prefered variation which is tested and true, I really like to know.
Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

PersonalizedCupcakes Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 10

thank you so much! @Charlie, do you add in one package or two? This one recipe I used called for 2 packages. I definitely loved the outcome...

Thank you so much for the dream whip post! I will look into this more. I want to definitely add it to my recipes as a staple.

Thank you both for the help! thumbs_up.gif

SCNYCharlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCNYCharlie Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 10

I usually use 1 packet to one box mix ratio, i sometimes add instant pudding mix in there as well. there is nothing better than a moist yummy cake! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 10

I've used dream whip in my cakes for so long, I can't remember NOT using it.

Dream whip is a whipped topping base, so adding it to a cake makes it rise higher. Dream Whip itself promoted adding it to cakes for years to get higher cakes. You'll find the recipe on the kraft website or on the box itself.

I also use one packet of dream whip per cake mix. (I dont' add pudding or anything else to the cake. Added pudding once and my official cake testers pretty much spit it out and told me to never do that again!) When I had the 20qt mixer, it was common for me to mix 12-15 cake mixes at once and add 12-15 packets of dream whip.

PersonalizedCupcakes Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you so much for the info! I can't wait to try the Dream Whip in my other recipes. I will try just the one package. Thank you all for your help!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:23am
post #8 of 10

Could you still carve a cake if you add it to the batter?

MollyGirl_17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyGirl_17 Posted 8 Jan 2011 , 9:19am
post #9 of 10

[quote="infinitsky"]I always wanted to know about dream whip in cake mix too, so now I googled and found this....

1 box dry cake mix (just the powder itself)
4 large eggs
1 cup water
1 package dream whip

quote]

I have a recipe that is basically the same, adding a box of Pistachio pudding and I think oil, and a sugar glaze and walnuts on top. It turns the cake green and tastes great! It's become one of my most requested cakes at work. Dream Whip is a keeper! (oh yeah, that batter tastes great too.. icon_lol.gif )

PersonalizedCupcakes Posted 15 Jan 2011 , 7:18pm
post #10 of 10

I tried the dream Whip in 2 of my cake recipes and OH MY GOODNESS! What a fantastic difference it made! I only used 1 package. This will definitely be a staple in all of my cake recipes! Thank you all for your input!!!!!

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%