"painting" On Fondant?!?!

Decorating By cake_architect Updated 5 Jan 2011 , 10:35am by Evoir

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 2:18am
post #1 of 19

hello all! i'm wanting to do a cake with comic book scenes on it but i've never painted on fondant before! eeek icon_eek.gif ! i've read petal dust with lemon juice works well, but does anyone else have any ideas? or any ideas on copying a comic book scene? thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

18 replies
mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 2:27am
post #2 of 19

I love my edible markers from Americolor, just like coloring when I was a kid! Less intimidating than painting I think. Good luck!

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 2:39am
post #3 of 19

I have actually use wilton colors mixed with a little water or vanilla extract and paint right on my fondant. I have only covered a large cake but if I had to do something like that I believe it would work. HTH

gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 2:46am
post #4 of 19

I use gel paste mixed with vodka.

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 2:59am
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbbaker

Same here - it gives great colour and is tons of fun to do icon_smile.gif.

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 3:07am
post #6 of 19

I've only painted a few small things, but I used wilton colors mixed with everclear and it worked nicely and dried quickly.

Good luck!

kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 3:12am
post #7 of 19

I've used gel colors mixed with clear vanilla extract. Works great.

annabanana183 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabanana183 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 3:40am
post #8 of 19

I painted this cake for my DH to look like his ipad, I just used wilton gel paints mixed with a little water, HTH : )
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1745318

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 5:12am
post #9 of 19

thank you so much everyone! i think i'm going to play around with diff ratios tomm to see what works best. i'm also ordering some food markers to compare, i'm just afraid i may run out of "ink" choosing that route =/
@annabanana, that is an amazing job! thanks for sharing!

lauriekailee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauriekailee Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 5:31am
post #10 of 19

I like to use either the petal dust, gel colors, or powder color mixed with vodka-the alcohol evaporates and it dries great. The markers are the actual best though!

good luck! post the picture for us!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 10:53am
post #11 of 19

I find that the best way to paint a complicated image (or any image, I am a rubbish artist), is to trace the original, reversed image with a pencil onto parchment paper, flip the paper over and trace the image onto your fondant covered cake. Just like how we learnt at school. Be gentle when you are rubbing the back of the image or you will get indentations on your fondant. The image will now be the right way up, and you can just colour in the lines. Pencil is non-toxic (though I wouldn't recommend eating a whole one!).
For large areas I would also recommend mixing your regular food colour with clear alcohol. Markers don't colour large areas too well in my experience, but are great for details and lines - again, make sure your fondant is set up somewhat or you will just dig holes in it with the pens icon_wink.gif

Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 11:07am
post #12 of 19

What I want to know is how she drew on this cake to make it look like color pencil! I find it so cool! http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1873873
Anyone know how to get this effect?

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 11:26am
post #13 of 19

Firstly, that is a marbled fondant effect, and the bold lettering was probably done with powdered colours (eg chalks or petal dusts) and some clear alcohol. Although gel colours could work similarly thinned down.

For all my painted cakes, I have used a combination of powdered chalk colours with vodka, and simply LIQUID food colours, straight fromt he bottle. Americolour airbrush colours are also good to paint with (ie a paintbrush).

I have had little success with the markers. They always look patchy quickly for me anyway! I am much better with a paintbrush in my hand icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 3:58pm
post #14 of 19

I love airbrush colors for painting personally. No need to thin them out with anything and they dry well.

I've also bought some empty edible markers that you add your own color too. I can't remember what brand they are, but you can use your color gels to add the 'ink' to them, so you can have various colors and can refil when needed.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 4:09pm
post #15 of 19

A detail about markers is that you can narrow the tip into a fine point if you need it. Just trim it. I have used the pen sized markers for this--not the fat crayon sized ones.

I use airbrush color with everclear for painting.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 4:22pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbbaker

Me too!

Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 4:25pm
post #17 of 19

where can i find powdered chalk?

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 4:53pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

I find that the best way to paint a complicated image (or any image, I am a rubbish artist), is to trace the original, reversed image with a pencil onto parchment paper, flip the paper over and trace the image onto your fondant covered cake. Just like how we learnt at school. Be gentle when you are rubbing the back of the image or you will get indentations on your fondant. The image will now be the right way up, and you can just colour in the lines. Pencil is non-toxic (though I wouldn't recommend eating a whole one!).
For large areas I would also recommend mixing your regular food colour with clear alcohol. Markers don't colour large areas too well in my experience, but are great for details and lines - again, make sure your fondant is set up somewhat or you will just dig holes in it with the pens icon_wink.gif

I totally love this idea thumbs_up.gif , something I had really never pieced together icon_surprised.gif thanks for the tip and texasugar your idea was an awsome on two! If you can remember where you purchased the empty pens let us know. It always makes my day when I can learn something new icon_biggrin.gif Thanks

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 10:35am
post #19 of 19

Ambar2 - You can buy food safe pastel chalks from cake deco stores and some art stores. You can grind them yourself. Alternatively you can buy powder colours, they are your 'petal dusts'. I prefer using my chalks as they are easy to mix to a unique colour blend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%