Have You Used The "original Cupcake Tree" Stand

Baking By Normita Updated 8 Sep 2011 , 5:27pm by cakesmart

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 9

I am looking for a sturdy inexpensive cupcake stand and came across this one:
http://www.save-on-crafts.com/cupcakes3.html

I want to know if others have used it and what their thoughts were on it? Or if you have other suggestions that is great also =)

8 replies
gr8yf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8yf Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 9

It's cardboard, not going to last. www.crystalpalacecupcaketree.com

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 9

I bought one a couple of years ago, I think it was that brand (looks pretty similar construction-wise anyway). I found it quite difficult to get a nice finish on it - sticking the paper took time because then you have to cut all the little holes nicely with a knife so the supports fit in properly. And since the edges are just bare cardboard, its hard to glue ribbon on. Thinking about it now, if I had glued the paper all the way over the edge and under it might have been easier.
At least they appear to have come down in price since I bought mine (although I prob paid a fair bit for shipping since I am not in the US, I can't remember).
I only used it for one wedding, a friends'. It has been in storage since. Maybe I'll get it out one day and redecorate it...it might be easier the second time around.

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 9

Here is a link for making your own! Best part is its totally customizable!!

http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/how-to-make-a-cake-stand-for-cupcakes-or-mini-cakes

The instructions call for cake dummy rounds but we don't have a place local to get them so I buy Styrofoam made for arranging fake flowers. They come I'm all sizes, I buy the 2" ones, green not white bc they are cheaper. If iii try it and have questions feel free to pm me. I'm making one for a baby shower this weekend, ill post pics icon_smile.gif

GL

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 9

I've used that type of cupcake stand before and I had no problems with it, but, it's only for ONE use (says this in the instructions as well)

I had no problem decorating it. Instead of putting paper on the boards, I used a sponge and food coloring to color the boards and for the ribbon on the sides, I just used a hot glue gun, it was VERY easy!! (haven't uploaded pics yet, sorry icon_redface.gif )

susiekoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susiekoos Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 9

I have used those cupcake trees and I really like them. I buy them from The Cupcake Tree Company. If you own a company you can buy them at a discount. The Pro's for me are that they are 1 time use item . I can give it to my Brides to decorate for there weddings. If I use them for a party I decorate the sides of the boards with ribbon and it looks really nice. Use glue dots to make the ribbon adhere to the cardboard . It works better then double sided tape . princess.gif

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 4 Jan 2011 , 12:43am
post #7 of 9

I didnt even get replies to this thread!!

But thanks a lot for the comments...I decided not to get it...I kind of want something that I can reuse over and over again! But it sure is economical for like a cupcake wedding or something.

Simply southern....I have made my own also using cakejournal's instruction and it came out cute! But I am lazy and I did not want to construct it myself icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

TheTattooedCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheTattooedCakeLady Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 5:35pm
post #8 of 9

I have used the Original Cupcake Tree four times now. Yes it is a disposable stand, but I offer my customers a choice of renting and having to return or using one of these disposable stands that they can just toss. They always go with the toss option. It can be decorated to match their wedding better and I just put the charge for the ribbons and paint on the invoice. I usually charge $50+ depending on the ribbon and details. I have found them cheaper at Save On Crafts Online.
I would encourage people to make their own only if they have enough time and don't mind not getting paid for the time, because honestly these stands are so easy to put together and I just don't have time to waste when I'm busy getting cakes out the door every week.

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 9

I have used the stand, and bought it from cupcaketree.com...it is disposable, but I found that it lasts well. I've used the same one three times now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%