Character Cut Out On Cake

Decorating By GARY Updated 6 Jan 2011 , 9:31am by CandyCU

GARY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GARY Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 5:04am
post #1 of 8

I'm wanting to cut curious george out of fondant...can someone tell me the steps I need to go from image to fondant cut outs on top of cake with exacto? thanks-Gina

7 replies
Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 5:19am
post #2 of 8

Not sure if this will answer your question, but I would make it with gumpaste. Make a template first, then roll out your gumpaste, place your template on the gumpaste and cut around it with an exacto knife. Maybe make 2 images so you can put either a wire, a toothpick or a lollipop stick in the middle to insert in your cake. Hope this helps you. Good luck!

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 5:20am
post #3 of 8

It depends on what kind of cut out you are looking to do. If you are looking to do one with an edible image like the Strawberry Shortcake in my photo gallery, then you can follow this tutorial:

http://cakecentral.com/articles/132/how-to-make-an-image-icing-plaque

If you want a 2-dimensional one like the ones on my Wonder Pets cake, you can PM me and I will send you directions.

CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 5:50am
post #4 of 8

Hi GARY!

I used this technique to make my Jessie for my recently posted cake in my photos.

Do a search on Google Images for him, find one you like, print it off to the size you want (2 copies). Use one copy to cut out into pieces using the outlines and the other as a guide when you put it all together. Oh, cut around the very outline of the second copy, prepare yourself a base out of fondant icing (same colour as what you will use to decorate you cake) about 1/4" thick, place the full image on the fondant an cut out the outline (this will be your puzzle board which you will be putting together you pic on) remove paper and allow it dry on a piece of flat foam. Meanwhile, colour all your bits of fondant different colours to match your pic, guestimating how much you're gonna need remembering it is all going to be flat. When rolling out the fondant try keeping it all the same thickness or you'll end up with a lumpy george, I used my Wilton rolling pin with the 1/8" rings on the ends. Then just start cutting out your pieces and sticking them onto your fondant base you prepared earlier, checking with the original image for positioning and size because when you pick up the little bits of 'puzzle' pieces they can tend to get mishapened. When all your pieces are in place, you should see it all come together, allow them to dry before continueing. When dry to touch, use edible non-toxic markers and coloured gels (you may have to dilute a little to thin out) to outline and paint in the details - then your pic will come to life! You may also want to paint in between the pieces (if there are little gaps where they join up) to give the outlines a little more definition but you'll have to see how you go when you get to that stage.

Good luck, give yourself PLENTY of time and I hope this helps!

HTH!

Cheers!

CandyCU Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 5:53am
post #5 of 8

oops, sorry I took too long typing and hadn't looked at the other posts.

This is what I thought you meant, apologies if it's not!

Cheers!

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 6:07am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyCU

oops, sorry I took too long typing and hadn't looked at the other posts.

This is what I thought you meant, apologies if it's not!

Cheers!

I gave same instuctions as well on duplicate post had not realised there were two post. Mine were not quite as detailed as yours you have explained much clearer than I did but same method only I strengthed mine fondant with gum trag to I could roll it thin and it would hold its shape. Mine was an Oggie cake its in my photos.

GARY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GARY Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 6:12am
post #7 of 8

Thanks so much for the detailed instructions....I think I can do it now!!!.
-Gina

CandyCU Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 9:31am
post #8 of 8

You're welcome Gina! I hope you enjoy doing it! You'll have to let us know when the pic is up!

Thanks jillyscakes for the tip! I think it would have turned out just that little bit better if I had added GumTrag so that I could roll the fondant even thinner.

Cheers!

C.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%