Starting Up In Nj (Hudson County)

Business By victoria7310

victoria7310 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victoria7310 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 1

I'm sure this has been asked and answered many timesbut my searches both here and on Google are not giving me any good results, so I'm hoping that someone here can help.

I would like to start a legal custom cakery. Our house has a completely independent basement apartment that I would like to convert to a legal kitchen & studio for me to work out of. There is no access to the basement from the house, it has it's own front and rear entrances. It has two rooms plus a kitchenette and full bathroom. My ideal plan is to use the back room which has sliding patio doors out to rear, (formerly a bedroom) for the kitchen, and the front room as an office/consultation room. The existing kitchenette (teeny tiny) will remain for use for beverages and serving tastings etc. The entire space is in the region of 600-700 sq ft.

I Know I need a three compartment sink, mop sink and hand sink. I'm hoping the bathroom sink can be the handsink. The others I can install.

My question is.... To get licensed, what other modifications do I need to do in creating the new kitchen. Ventilation? Fireproofing?

I know I need to call the health department for definitive answers, but I'd like to have an idea before doing that.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%