Walmart-Like Cake

Baking By agentdorkfish Updated 5 Jan 2011 , 3:14am by leily

agentdorkfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agentdorkfish Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 1:10am
post #1 of 10

Ok, I feel deeply ashamed asking this. Normally I would never have any interest in a recipe for a cake similar to what the Walmart bakery offers, but I have a good reason for asking.. My son's birthday is coming up and he loves the cupcakes from Walmart. He rarely eats any other cake. Don't hate him, he's just about to turn 4. He doesn't know any better!

So, do y'all have any suggestions to a recipe that would be similar to a Walmart cake?

And I apologize for asking!

9 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 1:17am
post #2 of 10

i know lots of people( they don,t have to be little, some are grown ups) that love walmart cupcakes and cakes. also they love sams, costco, bj's ,etc. i don,t knock any of them. people love what they love. it is a good thing that we don,t all have to be just like the other person. wish i could help you out with any recipes ,etc. buy one , taste it and see what you can come up with. i know they use something called BETTERCREAM OR butt r cream(SOMETHING LIKE THAT) hth

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 1:18am
post #3 of 10

i'm not sure if they still do, but wal-mart used to get their cakes from Pillsbury, so i would try a pillsbury mix.

Now if you're talking about the icing, their buttercream you can purchase at sam's club premade, or you can also purchase Bettercreme (whipped topping type icing) which is Rich's brand (you can sometimes find this at cake supply stores)

Not sure if you were looking for the icing or the cake part, but hope this helped.

agentdorkfish Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 1:28am
post #4 of 10

Thanks for the responses! I'm looking for the actual cake part. He loves my frosting that I make. (that's usually the only part of my cakes he eats!)

I'm still a bit of a rookie when it comes to cakes, so I don't know where to begin with coming up with a recipe.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 3:46am
post #5 of 10

I am guessing that they use a commercial cake mix, the kind they sell in 50 pound bags. I purchased some commercial cake mix from a local cake supply store. It makes wonderful petit fours because it bakes so firm and evenly, without many air bubbles. You might try finding a recipe that copies a commercial cake mix or see if you can find a store that sells it.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 4:22am
post #6 of 10

Ask if you can buy an uniced cake in the flavor you are looking for and then decorate it with your icing.
Jibbies

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 4:22am
post #7 of 10

Lol, My immediate thought was to reply: "bake a Jiffy brand white cake mix -replacing vegetable oil with cottonseed oil, wrap it in plastic, store it in the freezer for 18 months...and...viola- a Wal-Mart cake" icon_wink.gif But truthfully, my real thought is this: can you ask the walmart bakery if they will sell you a naked cake? I used to work at Albertsons and we would sell our cake by itself to customers who wanted to do their own decorating or had someone who absolutely loved our fresh-from-the-freezer cake (actually, can't lie- albertson's cake is pretty darn good, even if it's shipped in boxes and sits in freezers for weeks at a time.) I'm not sure what the WM policy is on selling uniced cakes but it might be worth a try.

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 4:29am
post #8 of 10

I have bought plain cakes from WalMart before and decorated myself. It did have a base layer of frosting, that I just scraped off. Certainly worth a try, and would be so much easier!

agentdorkfish Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 1:28am
post #9 of 10

I have never thought about buying an uniced cake! Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 3:14am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

I am guessing that they use a commercial cake mix, the kind they sell in 50 pound bags.

walmart doesn't bake their own cakes on site (or anywhere else) they purchase them premade from a supplier so all they have to do is ice them.

You can purchase them in 1/2 sheets or by the case (6 half sheets per box) from Sam's

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%