Creating A Flavors Page And Online Order Form. Sorry Long...

Business By ConfectionsCC Updated 2 Jan 2011 , 8:46pm by Annabakescakes

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 5:55am
post #1 of 7

I would like the CC's imput on my developing cake flavors page and online order form page. Lets start with the cake flavors page first.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MmfXKO8wiX6D3-PQSn_cUcapxGu3JcABjmU2jFIPoyk/edit?hl=en&authkey=CLLskSc

It seems most of the interest in my cakes are coming from my FB page, so I created this flavors page because a very commonly asked question it "What flavors do you have" Please take a look and see if I have everything laid out in a way that someone who knows nothing about cakes can figure out how to choose flavors. Also, when I send this to them, I offer them "guidance" in figuring out which flavors go well together, to make it even easier.

Online ordering form:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D8DqN_q4wj2ROfQlZhtTvW1hMCQOBshBEE_rOCC_Jkw/edit?hl=en&authkey=CMaNsr4E

Now my idea for the ordering form is that the customer can fill out the blanks or "questions" by just typing them in. I will tell them when I email it to them (or if I find a way to link it so they can just click on it without having to ask me for it) that they will email it back to me, with their answers and descriptions of the cake they desire. From there, I will come up with a drawing of a design, and a price, post it to the form they filled out and sent to me, so they can see that I put what they asked for on there. From there they obviously can tell me they love the design, or hate it and start from scratch! I added in the order form that if they need to stay within a certain budget, to please tell me that in the initial order form, so I can design a cake to fit with in their budget. I have a very good lawyer friend working on creating me a solid contract to protect not only myself, but the customer as well "Just in case". The contract will require their signature approving the design and all costs involved, date, etc...
Sorry this is so long, I just want to make sure I am doing this right, I do not want to go overboard, but at the same time, I have read so many horror stories of decorators literally getting screwed by, how should I say, "pissy" customers!! Thanks to all who take the time to read and look over this for me, I promise to do the same for others looking for advice on any topic!!

6 replies
SwtCanuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwtCanuck Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 9:28am
post #2 of 7

I have some constructive comments for you:
I think the order form would be good for when you actually talk to the customer but I think it is too wordy to start with. Same with the flavours page. Look at a few people's website and see how simple thay are on there.
And on the flavours page you have to watch the capitalization. Personally I would capitalize every main word. ie: Chocolate or White Chocolate Ganache
Otherwise... Happy Baking!!

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 7

Hi icon_smile.gif
Here's a few things that I think that would help you..
For the flavors page, I would cut out the wordiness too( ie. right after icing, I would cut that and just say what your choices are). When I made my flavor page, I made a check list of all flavors and icings, its simple and it works great! super easy icon_smile.gif
One last thing, I would put the basic cakes and basic fillings together.
And put your premium cakes and premium fillings next to eachother.

Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif
Jodi

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 7

I don't give out sketches until I get a deposit. You could potentially waste a lot of your time just to have the client take the sketch somewhere else and try and get their cake cheaper.

ConfectionsCC Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks yall for the answers!!! I will get to work improving it! I have to admit, there seems to be a lot less to change than what I was expecting for my first run! icon_razz.gif I was kinda scared I would be told to throw it out and start from scratch! I guess the wordiness reflects that I talk 90 to nothing!!

ConfectionsCC Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

I don't give out sketches until I get a deposit. You could potentially waste a lot of your time just to have the client take the sketch somewhere else and try and get their cake cheaper.

Well, since majority of my orders are done online, How would I give them a sketch and price point without risking them going to someone else? I don't live in a large city where everything is just around the corner, most people have to actually drive a ways to pick up a cake, so coming in for the consultations in person for sketches and prices would prob make me loose most or all business!! and yes I TALK WAY TO MUCH, hahahahah gosh, I didn't realize I even talk too much trying to make order forms hahahaha!!!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:46pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfectionsCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Well, since majority of my orders are done online, How would I give them a sketch and price point without risking them going to someone else? I don't live in a large city where everything is just around the corner, most people have to actually drive a ways to pick up a cake, so coming in for the consultations in person for sketches and prices would prob make me loose most or all business!! and yes I TALK WAY TO MUCH, hahahahah gosh, I didn't realize I even talk too much trying to make order forms hahahaha!!!

I NEVER give people sketches. I do a very simple "stick' sketch to see if I have the general idea, but I keep it for the order. If they want it, they can have a photo copy of it AFTER I do the cake. But I probably do 1 sketch for every 20 cakes I have. I'd like to smack the person in the head who started giving sketches to every Looky-Loo who inquired about a cake. All that does is allow people who have paid for NOTHING to take YOUR sketch that you worked on and parade it around to every bakery in town to try to find a better deal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%