Linda Mcclure Gumpaste

Decorating By jade8 Updated 23 Mar 2016 , 3:28pm by starvamoranto

jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 4:18am
post #1 of 12

I have seen her youtube videos on making gumpaste and would like to try it. I understand this gumpaste is for using in cutting machines like the Cricut but am wondering if the recipe is ok to use like regular gumpaste for flowers or figurines. Anyone out there have any experience with her gumpaste?
Thanks.

11 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 4:39am
post #2 of 12

I have only used it with the cricut but if you contact her I'm sure she'd tell you if it could be used for other things. She's very friendly and helpful.

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 5:06am
post #3 of 12

It is on her website, I got her CD for Christmas and her GP looks like nothing I've ever seen. I really want to try it!

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 12

I use her recipe all the time for all of my gum paste work. It is excellent for flowers, especially is a high humidity area. If you make the recipe with 3 tablespoons of CAI tylose and find it is too firm, just add some fondant to help soften it up a bit. The extra firm gum paste is for the cutting machines. Also, you can make it in advance and store it in the freezer until you need it.

jade8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jade8 Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 12

thanks everyone. she does make it look easy and i have been wanting to try it for sometime to make roses.

SRumzis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SRumzis Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 5:59pm
post #6 of 12

Does anyone know if you're supposed to keep McClure gumpaste in the fridge or at room temp? NTK asap! thanks!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 12

I make it all the time for use with the Make The Cut program on my Silhouette - it really is awesome and you can get it so thin that it resembles fabric - the BEST for fabric drapes and realistic bows. I keep mine in a piece of saran wrap that's been greased with Crisco - then am careful to squish out all the air pockets. She says you can freeze it too. Extra rubbery so it is great for frilly flowers.

SRumzis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SRumzis Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 6:49pm
post #8 of 12

Hi sorry so does that mean you don't keep it in the fridge then?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Apr 2012 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 12

That recipe is basically homemade fondant with a buttload of tylose added in. It's pretty much the same recipe I use but with more tylose, which would make it stiffer.

I keep mine at room temp, but if I'm not going to be using it for a while I stick it in the freezer. it keeps it from drying out.

starvamoranto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starvamoranto Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 1:04pm
post #10 of 12

hi, can you use her recipe for normal flower cutters? thanks!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 23 Jan 2016 , 2:40pm
post #11 of 12

You can use this recipe for anything Gum paste! It's her variation on Rosemary Watson's original recipe....which I used for years ....she replaces the original gum tragacanth with tylose.

i make it, color it, divide into small portions and store in the freezer.  While I'm using I leave at room temp up to a week or more with no problems.

starvamoranto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starvamoranto Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 3:28pm
post #12 of 12

can you use her gumpaste recipe as a frosting sheet considering that it can pass thru the cricut machine?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%