Sheet Cakes, Do You Offer Them?

Decorating By KakesbyKris Updated 1 Jan 2011 , 7:38pm by Mama_Mias_Cakes

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 4:23am
post #31 of 34

I am so confused by this topic. Why not do a sheet cake? A true artist can draw a beautiful portrait on a napkin.

I've decorated wedding cakes, other rounds and sheet cakes with the same roses, same gumpaste baby booties, same figurines, etc. So I am very confused how one is a higher work of are than another.

Now, I do make my sheets double layer, making them 4 inches high (40 servings). That does set them apart form the grocery store cake. And my decorating abilities (even my worst talents) separate me from the grocery store cakes.

IMO, anything you can do to a round cake you can do to a sheet and vice-versa.

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 6:26pm
post #32 of 34

The reason I don't enjoy doing sheetcakes is because everyone that has asked me to make them wants an image (out of fondant or icing), and that makes me feel like I'm not being creative. Instead I feel like I'm just putting a picture of what they want, characters from a tv show or logo of a team, and that is all they want. And I just find that boring as it's not MY character that I created, but instead someone else's picture.

Though last sheet cake I did I tried to mimic some of the SugarShack designs. It made the cake more fun to decorate, but I still had to cut the character images out of fondant and I hated that! :/

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 6:38pm
post #33 of 34

I love beautiful cakes no matter what the size, shape, height, color, or degree of complexity. Yesterday I was absolutely mesmerized by Thanhthanh's amazing works of art. Sometimes I start looking at cakes in the gallery and before I know it, I've spent an hour just browsing. icon_smile.gif

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 1 Jan 2011 , 7:38pm
post #34 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

I love beautiful cakes no matter what the size, shape, height, color, or degree of complexity. Yesterday I was absolutely mesmerized by Thanhthanh's amazing works of art. Sometimes I start looking at cakes in the gallery and before I know it, I've spent an hour just browsing. icon_smile.gif

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%