Cake Request, I Thought It Was Funny

Decorating By aligotmatt Updated 31 Dec 2010 , 5:59am by jason_kraft

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 57

I got an email from a bride saying she was having 45 people at a reception and her budget is $180 and could I help her with an attached picture of a fondant cake and over 20 gumpaste flowers on it.

Normally I would write back, no, I can't help you, best wishes. But I was in a funny mood, so I wrote her back and told her it would be $316, base price of cake, plus sugar flowers, plus tax/delivery...

So she wrote back to ask if I would lower my base price per serving from $4.50 down to $3.50. really. really?

Most of the time when I get an email like this, people write back and say, sorry that's out of my range, or they just never write back. The latter was my expectation. I've never had someone write and ask me to lower my price like that. I think it's hilarious.

Is this our new crop?

56 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 57

I've had it done and it's galling absolutely galling.

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 57

I've had people ask if I had cheaper options- which i usually do, but never outright ask me to lower my price. I have had a customer ask if I would "sponser" her wedding cake- if I gave her a deeply discounted cake she would let me put brichures out- Tacky- JUST TACKY.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 57

I had a call this week and I quoted $4 a serving buttercream and after that she says "Oh well the bride wants a good tasting cake for an inexpensive price." And I just laughed, "Oh does she?" Call 1-800-getalife.

aligotmatt Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

I"Oh well the bride wants a good tasting cake for an inexpensive price."

And I want a butt like beyonce, but we can't all get what we want...

-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

Quote:

I"Oh well the bride wants a good tasting cake for an inexpensive price."

And I want a butt like beyonce, but we can't all get what we want...

<high five>

Then there was the chick who wanted a designer cake (with hand made baby's breath) for $1.50/$2 a serving and had the nerve to ask what BRAND of real vanilla did I use.
<eyes closed> <making sign of the cross>

I think she got spontaneous diarrhea when I quoted her over $700.
She could not get out from around that table fast enough.
Blood just drained right out of her face like she'd seen a ghost.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 2:47pm
post #7 of 57

...she was walking kinda funny when she left...

icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 2:47pm
post #8 of 57
Quote:

<high five>

Then there was the chick who wanted a designer cake (with hand made baby's breath) for $1.50/$2 a serving and had the nerve to ask what BRAND of real vanilla did I use.
<eyes closed> <making sign of the cross>

I think she got spontaneous diarrhea when I quoted her over $700.
She could not get out from around that table fast enough.
Blood just drained right out of her face like she'd seen a ghost.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Wish I could have been there to see that!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 57
Quote:

I had a call this week and I quoted $4 a serving buttercream and after that she says "Oh well the bride wants a good tasting cake for an inexpensive price." And I just laughed, "Oh does she?" Call 1-800-getalife.

Since when would you drop your price just to make a good tasting cake versus oh a bad tasting cake? When did the scale go from good tasting cake to 'super' good tasting down to 'not the best' tasting?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:01pm
post #10 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblupe

Quote:

Since when would you drop your price just to make a good tasting cake versus oh a bad tasting cake? When did the scale go from good tasting cake to 'super' good tasting down to 'not the best' tasting?

Here's what I would love to see -

One of you pros getting here and telling us you sent the pic of the twinkie wedding cake, and saying - This is what I can do for $3 a serve."

Here's a link to the pic, just in case someone has not seen it yet -

http://www.collegehumor.com/picture:73035

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:11pm
post #11 of 57

Nope, gotta say I have never seen the twinkie cake. Ingenuity - 5; tacky - 1

aligotmatt Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 57

The cake picture she sent me has a large fondant pearl border, so in lowering the price, she thought changing them to small pearls would make it cheaper.

I still haven't responded, because part of me wants to play the game and say, okay, how about I only do a pearl border on half of one tier of the cake and use silk flowers rather than gumpaste?

-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:29pm
post #13 of 57
Quote:

The cake picture she sent me has a large fondant pearl border, so in lowering the price, she thought changing them to small pearls would make it cheaper.

I still haven't responded, because part of me wants to play the game and say, okay, how about I only do a pearl border on half of one tier of the cake and use silk flowers rather than gumpaste?

icon_biggrin.gif

Tell her you could just ice every other slice too or half way up each tier kinda of an eco and pocketbook friendly hombre effect. Hey people leave icing on the plate all the time. With a little effort she could really maximize this and be verdant--when folks rsvp they could choose, with or without icing. Call the wedding article writers!!!

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:36pm
post #14 of 57

My feeling on this is that with the economy such as it is. Cake is a luxury these days, not a necessity. Still it's nice to have a pretty cake that taste scrumptious. I don't see any harm in asking for a lower price. DH is currently on the phone trying to get our monthly Comcast bill lower. I'm mean when you think about it, the worst someone can do is tell you no.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:39pm
post #15 of 57
Quote:

So she wrote back to ask if I would lower my base price per serving from $4.50 down to $3.50.

In some cultures, negotiating with vendors is the norm rather than the exception, and vendors' listed prices are typically flexible.

I wouldn't take offense at attempts to negotiate, especially if you live in a culturally diverse area. We often get requests to lower our prices...I handle these by offering a more basic cake instead (i.e. removing a fruit filling or scaling back decorations), or if the cake is already bare-bones simply saying "no". The customer almost always ends up accepting the original quote.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:44pm
post #16 of 57

Tell her you could just ice every other slice too or half way up each tier kinda of an eco and pocketbook friendly hombre effect. Hey people leave icing on the plate all the time. With a little effort she could really maximize this and be verdant--when folks rsvp they could choose, with or without icing. Call the wedding article writers!!![/quote]

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:48pm
post #17 of 57

So if your company came to you on a random basis and said, well we need you to take home $500 less this week for the same amount of work--that'd be ok with you? So are you feeling like negotiating or you gonna want what you're supposed to get?

The point is, after it's funny, it is insulting.

America is not the land of negotiated food prices at consumer level.
Cars maybe food no.
Bakeries do not barter as a nation wide form of tender.

Yes, I'm insulted if someone asks me for a designer cake for a twinkie price yes because I like me, I'm an expert. a professional. Yes I'm pissed at the audactiy, self-centeredness and ignorance directed at my 35+ years of expertise.

You want a smaller price? Find a smaller talent.
You want designer cake or what's behind door #3?
You think this is Let's Make A Deal? Hit the door.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:58pm
post #18 of 57

"Well I want more than I can afford and I'm going to be a bride, queen for a day--please bow down--isn't this dial-a-cake-charity because I'M getting married?

phhffft
phhffft
phfffftttt

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 4:09pm
post #19 of 57

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif You guys are a HOOT! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I love reading your comments. Let 'em have it ladies! icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 4:21pm
post #20 of 57

I wouldn't be remotely offended by her asking that. My quite simple reply would be, "Sure, now lets take your guest list from 45 to 25."

Because baby, THAT'S gonna save a ton of cash all around!!! Everyone else can just mail their gift to the post office box we'll rent just for this occasion. Please, nothing that isn't on the registry though. Returning all that junk is hard work.

And K8, seriously, as a professional you stick to your pricing? What UP with that? You're giving the rest of us 'bleeding hearts who are easily suckered by a sob story' a bad name, ya know?! If you keep this up, pretty soon people might stop trying to get freebies. icon_cry.gif Noooo!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 4:27pm
post #21 of 57

I dont' know about everyone else, but between K8 and Melvira, I'm ready to split a gut here!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

gr8yf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8yf Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 4:36pm
post #22 of 57

I just had to comment on the $1.50 per serving, You can't get a Happy Meal for that!

Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 4:42pm
post #23 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I dont' know about everyone else, but between K8 and Melvira, I'm ready to split a gut here!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

It's the pure, concentrated sarcasm. It's effects are often mistaken for kidney stones. icon_lol.gif

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 4:51pm
post #24 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblupe

Quote:

Here's what I would love to see -

One of you pros getting here and telling us you sent the pic of the twinkie wedding cake, and saying - This is what I can do for $3 a serve."

Here's a link to the pic, just in case someone has not seen it yet -

http://www.collegehumor.com/picture:73035

Theresa icon_smile.gif

That's so funny! It reminds me of a bride that called to see if I could make her a decorated Krispie Kream donut cake! icon_confused.gif I was confused so she sent me a picture of a "cake" that was just a stack of donuts with an additional glaze over them to hold them together and some roses and baby's breath stuck here and there. Wish I still had the pic but I don't. I politely told her no based on the fact that I don't feel comfortable serving donuts made by someone else and puting my name on it because of the liability issue if someone did get sick off of them and I don't know how to make donuts, so I couldn't make them myself. SO glad I sidestepped that one! lol To each their own!

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:01pm
post #25 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

It's the pure, concentrated sarcasm. It's effects are often mistaken for kidney stones. icon_lol.gif

ROFLMBO!!!!!!!!!! Everyone is hilarious on this thread! The nerve of some customers!!! icon_razz.gificon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:05pm
post #26 of 57

I call it the Flea Market generation. We quote prices all the time, then they "try" to start negotiating. Amazes me every day.

Melvira Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:07pm
post #27 of 57

Speaking of Twinkie cake... I did a wedding, a four tier ganache covered square cake edged in malted milk balls, it was so decadent looking, then two tractor shaped groom's cakes. One of their friends thought it would be funny to come in after I delivered and set up, and put together a plate stacking system and cover it with wrapped ho-ho's or whatever. The bride was not thrilled, and thought I did it. I ran into her later and she told me she was like, "What was that all about? Why would she DO that??" I had to fervently explain that I didn't even KNOW about it. She ended up laughing it off, but I was pissed that no one told her they did it, so she thought I had. Can you imagine if she hadn't been an awesome laid-back bride?? icon_eek.gif

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:28pm
post #28 of 57
Quote:

Quote:

icon_biggrin.gif

Tell her you could just ice every other slice too or half way up each tier kinda of an eco and pocketbook friendly hombre effect. Hey people leave icing on the plate all the time. With a little effort she could really maximize this and be verdant--when folks rsvp they could choose, with or without icing. Call the wedding article writers!!!

Hilarioussssssss! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:35pm
post #30 of 57

They say laughing is good for the soul. Well, my soul is good now!!!!! I don't think I've laughed so hard in a long time. You guys are absolutely hilarious! I'm putting these come backs in the back of my brain in hopes I can recall them on a moments notice when I'm faced with this. Still laughing! icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%