Kind Of Awkward...

Lounge By Annabakescakes Updated 31 Dec 2010 , 3:27am by leah_s

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 6:28am
post #1 of 9

I asked for more information on a bridal show, with the hopes of being able to be a vendor and I noticed it was called "Color of Love". When I read more about it, I saw it is geared towards black brides<---= Their words. icon_confused.gif (I won't mention how racist it would be if there was show geared especially for white women)

I understand that different ethnicities have different needs in hair care or sometimes skin care and different religions have dietary guidelines that are not the typical "American" cheese burgers and pizza thing, but is cake really that way? Not to be funny, but do black women seek out black vendors? It never occurs to me to find peach people to do anything for me, I just look for service and value, I don't care if you're purple.

I grew up in the ghetto of Louisville and went to all black schools, but I am very much "white" (but I hate that term and black too! I am more peach and most "black" people I know are actually brown icon_confused.gif and I hate to have people color pointed out, I judge people on the content of their character.)

I don't have a racist bone in my body, and I don't have that "hard" edge that a lot of white girls affect when they grow up in the ghetto. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if I was the only whitey in the place. I have black customers and they LOVE LOVE LOVE my cake.

I guess my questions are, will I be allowed to participate, and do you think the brides will look at me like an "interloper" or do you think it would be okay? Should I tell them I am "white" before we schedule anything in person, or let them meet me and then see my color? Would others go to a place where a color of skin was showcased that is not their own, or should I just move along? I don't want to step on toes.

8 replies
KimberleysOven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimberleysOven Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 8:16am
post #2 of 9

I would think that its more to do which the beauty aspect of it (hair care etc) - I'd go for it. Don't mention you ethnicity, its irrelevant to your skills. You may get asked about different styles of cakes that don't fit the super traditional image of a wedding cake and perhaps more suited to what the traditions of their background is.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 9

I would do the show if you want to do the show amd expect to have a great time.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 9

I can address the issue of having a show aimed for a specific ethnic group....

As a Mexican, our palates are different. Sweet buttercream is NOT popular. In fact most cakes at the wedding/quinceaneras I go to are whipped icing, or some variation there of. Same theory applies to catering. We like our traditional Mexican food - mole, carnitas, pollo enchilado, arroz, etc... When it comes to the food, unless an American is very well known as a good Mexican cook, there will be some hesitation on the customers behalf. Some other issues come up when think of hair and make-up (it took my current stylist a long time to realize exactly how thick and how much hair I had). Also, sometimes the organizers seek out only ethnic vendors as a way support that community.

I wouldn't take it personally, but do be up straight with her. Get all the info needed and see if it would be a good fit.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

I can address the issue of having a show aimed for a specific ethnic group....

As a Mexican, our palates are different. Sweet buttercream is NOT popular. In fact most cakes at the wedding/quinceaneras I go to are whipped icing, or some variation there of. Same theory applies to catering. We like our traditional Mexican food - mole, carnitas, pollo enchilado, arroz, etc... When it comes to the food, unless an American is very well known as a good Mexican cook, there will be some hesitation on the customers behalf. Some other issues come up when think of hair and make-up (it took my current stylist a long time to realize exactly how thick and how much hair I had). Also, sometimes the organizers seek out only ethnic vendors as a way support that community.

I wouldn't take it personally, but do be up straight with her. Get all the info needed and see if it would be a good fit.

It must vary by area. I've been to tons of hispanic weddings (including my own icon_razz.gif) and everybody here just has regular buttercream on their cakes. Part of that might be the climate, whipped cream doesn't hold up well here. As for the food, I've had all kinds at weddings. We seem to save the traditional meals for big family gatherings and just go with what the caterer says is popular.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 9

Well, you know it could vary by region as well as demographics. As you very well know, not all Mexican are the same.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 6:39pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for the replies! I don't really take it personally, but it does seem odd! I can just see some white-people geared show, and there are a lot of tattoos (not that that alone would be a "sign") and piercings, and ripped pants, wallets with chains, skin-heads and hate. I just didn't know if this would be similar.

I do know about hair differences. I had several black roommates when I was in school and I took out a lot weaves and hot ironed a lot of hair and did a few billion braids (and that was on 1 head, lol!) But we all ate the same thing, which was whatever we could afford, or whatever we were served! I heard about chitterlings (chit'lins) but I never saw anybody make them or eat them. I don't know what the difference is in bridal gowns and cakes!

I want to do the show because it is the last one of the season around here, and I am not open yet. I am working on dummies right now, (just to stay sane while I can't cake!) Do you think I should do some really different ones? Is there a difference in cake design? I LOVE Toba Garret's cakes, but they don't look different from Sylvia Winestock's (sp?) stylistically. I do a lot of designer bags and shoes for my black clients, but most cakes are no different.

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 3:17am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

I asked for more information on a bridal show, with the hopes of being able to be a vendor and I noticed it was called "Color of Love". When I read more about it, I saw it is geared towards black brides<---= Their words. icon_confused.gif (I won't mention how racist it would be if there was show geared especially for white women)

I understand that different ethnicities have different needs in hair care or sometimes skin care and different religions have dietary guidelines that are not the typical "American" cheese burgers and pizza thing, but is cake really that way? Not to be funny, but do black women seek out black vendors? It never occurs to me to find peach people to do anything for me, I just look for service and value, I don't care if you're purple.

It's not about cake at all. It's not necessarily a black woman seeking out a black vendor either, it's more along the line of supporting family/community; with some people preferring to support family/community before supporting others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

I guess my questions are, will I be allowed to participate and do you think the brides will look at me like an "interloper" or do you think it would be okay?

Only the people who are running the show can tell you if you would be allowed to participate. I highly doubt they would exclude you because you aren't black.

Should I tell them I am "white" before we schedule anything in person, or let them meet me and then see my color? Would others go to a place where a color of skin was showcased that is not their own, or should I just move along? I don't want to step on toes.[/quote]

It all depends on a person's comfort level. I would meet with the people and if I had a good feeling then I would do the show, if not, then no loss to you.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Dec 2010 , 3:27am
post #9 of 9

Hi Anna,
I'm from Louisville too, and I know the show you're talking about. Just in general, if you're going to do one or two wedding shows, that's not the one to choose. And it has nothing to do with ethnicity.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%