Adding Silk Flowers To Cake

Decorating By Dbond Updated 17 Feb 2011 , 8:27pm by Dbond

Dbond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dbond Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 4:40am
post #1 of 4

Does anyone have any tips to share concerning putting silk flowers on 6 tiered cake? I have seen all kinds in the gallery, some look overwhelmed by the flowers, some look underwhelmed. Do I just poke them into the cake? Is there something I should do to the stem of the flower before inserting? Wax paper the stem ends before inserting? They want them to cascade down the side. I figure, start small at the top and gradually increase # of flowers and size of flowers as they go down the side. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! icon_smile.gif [/b]

3 replies
sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 4:59am
post #2 of 4

I made a wedding cake and it used silk flowers that cascaded down the side of the cake. I put parchment paper strips between the the flowers and cake. The topper was very large so I used a dowel to anchor the cake. Then I bent the wires of the bouquet to go around the dowel. It never moved.
here is the cake http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1414055.html

hth

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:27am
post #3 of 4

I would probaly use the flower spikes, you really wouldn't want to put metal into a cake, cascade it the way you want and use the spikes in the spots you need them.

Dbond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dbond Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you to "sugarplum" and "crazboutcakes", I did just poke them into the cake after having trimmed the stems fairly short, but long enough that they would insert into the cake. They went in right before the reception, and all went well as far as the flowers were concerned. The frosting fell off of the side of the cakes in transport due to the pinneapple cream cheese filling oozing out, but the flowers were able to cover a multitude of flaws. and my son and daughter-in-law loved it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%