Need Help Quick

Decorating By Tabithascakes Updated 30 Dec 2010 , 9:03pm by RosieC

Tabithascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tabithascakes Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 6

ok so i will be using buttercream icing and i want to color it silver & gold. what color food coloring do i use? thank you all

5 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 6

You won't be able to get true silver or true gold from food colour alone. The best thing to do is colour it grey for silver or yellow for gold then airbrush it. If you don't have an airbrush you can buy cans of metallic food colour spray... PME does a range.

Failing that you could try adding lustre dust to the buttercream ie sprinkling on, blowing on, splattering on with a new toothbrush etc, but you won't get any effect if you mix it into your buttercream. I doubt that would work very well though so your best bet is the airbrush or sprays.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 6

If you have an airbrush....the silver and gold sheen colors would work.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 6

If your buttercream crusts, I think you could paint it on with a mixture of luster dust and vodka. I've never tried it myself but I read it on here a while back.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 6

You can brush the luster dust onto crusted buttercream with a dry paintbrush. You'd want to color the buttercream yellow for gold or gray for silver before you add the dust...the silver especially just looks like dirt when you put it on white buttercream (ask me how I know icon_biggrin.gif ).

RosieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RosieC Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 6

I am not sure if this is what you are asking but to get gold I used golden yellow and added a little brown until I got it just the color I wanted. To make silver you would just use a little black in your white buttercream. Of course that is also gray...but that's the only way I know to get the gold and silver just using the icing color. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%