Silver & Gold Swirls

Decorating By Msjckson Updated 30 Dec 2010 , 5:50am by Lizzard1

Msjckson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Msjckson Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 4

Hello CC family,

I'm making a cake for NYE and I've seen so many great pictures with silver and gold swirls (I assume is either fondant or gumpaste) sticking out of it and also the year (2009, 2010..etc) done in a swirled fashion. I was wondering how the the fondant was colored. Was it spray painted or luster dust? I tried to find a link in the forums but was unsuccessful. Here is one of the caskes that I saw with this design:

3 replies
CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:02am
post #2 of 4

I'm going to guess they were colored dark yellow and gray with regular food coloring/gel. Then sprayed with a luster dust mixture (gold and silver respectively).

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:17am
post #3 of 4

hi, you can just make them with white g/p. either mix gold and silver dust with everclear or vodks and paint or if you have an airbrush, use the airbrush paints or even the can of paint they have now from pme or lucks, etc. hth

Lizzard1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzard1 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:50am
post #4 of 4

I have made letters like that in the past and I used gumpaste then let it dry over night. I then applied the luster dust to the letters with a brush and sorta buffed it onto the letters. I didn't used spray and just dusted it. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%