Ace Of Cakes - Transporting Cakes?!

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 22 Jan 2007 , 2:02pm by imartsy

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 12:18am
post #1 of 42

Did anyone see the last episode of Ace of Cakes? O..M..G icon_surprised.gif I cannot believe how they were transporting those cakes?!?! They just put them in the back of the truck/van & took off! icon_eek.gif And did you SEE that girl with the stacked cake trying to open that door?!? icon_surprised.gif I thought that was going to be a disaster!!!

41 replies
SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 12:41am
post #2 of 42

OMG, yes it was the first time I watched it and I was totally WOW'd by it! They way they transported the cakes, was really strange I thought! Is this how the people who transport cakes really do it? I am getting ready to ship a cake to friend next week and I am bugging out bc I can't find packing peanuts!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 12:48am
post #3 of 42

I transport all my cakes assembled. Unless there are pillars. The bubble cake in my photos was stacked when I transported it.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 12:51am
post #4 of 42

silvercat, do you have on of those UPS mini stores? They have peanut blowers there, where you put the box under and they pull this valve and peanuts come out of a tube to fill the box..

I have watched this show once and it was the one they did for the kentucky derby... he had to transport the cake (once he weaved his van through) via hand through a crowd of young drunk people, and when I say crowd... I mean thousands... dancing, screaming, yelling... just to get it to the center and HE MADE IT! I could never have done that!

Alison01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alison01 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 12:52am
post #5 of 42

Yeah, I don't know how they do that and not have disasters! I would have had that cake all over the place! Maybe they aren't as clumpsy as I am!!!

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 12:52am
post #6 of 42

Well, I thought that was quite enlightening. I was thinking, dang wouldn't that stick to the icing? Then I remembered that he does fondant exclusively and after it's had a chance to form a crust it wouldn't be sticky at all. I like the idea of wrapping a cake in saran wrap and just away we go. Boxes are good, but in my opinion, if it's a used freight box (those you get at the store) I don't think that it looks professional. Boxes are expensive to say the least and his idea on the wrap is great.
Who cares how it gets there as long as it is clean and looks good.

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 1:54am
post #7 of 42

Nope (kicking foot) ~ I missed it because the boy was playing his new wii on the tv and the reminder couldn't be seen...

Next time it comes on, Mommy gets the TV!
(I say in proclamation!)

It is amazing sometimes what you see on there. That flamingo cake episode was funny when they tried to put it in the van, then in the jeep, then back in the van... Rain was threatening at the time. I wouldn't want to have to do that, I am nervous about transporting rounds and cupcakes. hehe

icon_smile.gif

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 1:59am
post #8 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSuziesSweets

silvercat, do you have on of those UPS mini stores? They have peanut blowers there, where you put the box under and they pull this valve and peanuts come out of a tube to fill the box..

Yes I do I was thinking there if Staples didn't have them. Thanks for the heads up on that. I was wondering if I am safer sending it USPS or UPS?!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 2:04am
post #9 of 42

The funny part was that it was raining!! Wouldn't that saran wrap stick to the cake? Also when she was entering the door I saw her chest & belly push against the cake. Maybe they don't show the whole thing... It seems they would have to fix the cakes more when they got them to the cake table. I still LOVE that show though! I love how everyone has a good time & is so laid back when doing their cakes~

I travel with my cakes assembled. I freak out but I still do it. As long as I have the self liner under the cake, under the box I'm good. That cake ain't going anywhere unless I have a wreck. God forbid icon_smile.gif

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 2:11am
post #10 of 42

silvercat, i mailed a round fondant cake last week. it was simple. i allowed the fondant to dry, then wrapped it in saran loosely. i wrapped the sides of the cake with bubble wrap (around and around) until the wrap came to the edge of the cake board. then i wrapped the cake from top to bottom, several times. i placed a couple layers of wrap on the bottom of the box, put the wrapped cake in, then added bubble wrap padding where there were gaps. i made sure that the entire box was full of bubble wrap so there was no where for the cake to shift or be smashed if tipped upside down. i made sure to send it 2 day priority (IN A FLAT RATE BOX! 8.10) . it arrived in perfect condition. ...though the decorations were minimal....it was a test, happy to see that it worked and i'll definately do it again.

dont worry if you cant get peanuts. i bought a roll of bubble wrap at walmart for $4 and only used half. pretty inexpensive. new, clean and it works!

PistachioCranberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PistachioCranberry Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 2:12am
post #11 of 42

I absolutely love this show.....I mean driving 12 hours to get a cake to someone or trying to open a door by yourself while holding a stacked cake and not have a disaster....amazing.

I seriously thought she was going to drop the cake so I was holding my breath while watching...haha

Theav Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Theav Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 5:01am
post #12 of 42

I brought up that point about their transportation and almost got lynched here a few months ago. I think that they should certainly have a better, cleaner way to transport their cakes. You would expect better for the money that they charge.

BooBooKitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BooBooKitty Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 6:32am
post #13 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theav

You would expect better for the money that they charge.

Speaking of the money they charge. I wish they would tell us how much they charge/get paid for each cake. They said the cake for man who was a cubs fan, the cake would have over 300 man hours for that cake.

Months ago they had a check bounce for a spiderman birthday cake and I swear I heard them say the check was for $3000 dollars icon_surprised.gif . Checks have to clear something like 2 weeks before cake is due and hers didnt so NO cake for her sons birthday. Even with the lady begging for him to still make it and the check thing (she said) was a mistake, He didnt budge still said no cake. All I can say is WOW and OMG if I heard them right about the cost of the cake.

OOOOOOOOOh and that rocker/feather/wedding cake they did, I thought was soooooo UGLY. icon_razz.gif

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 6:54am
post #14 of 42
Quote:

I brought up that point about their transportation and almost got lynched here a few months ago. I think that they should certainly have a better, cleaner way to transport their cakes. You would expect better for the money that they charge.

Amen!!! I was in shock when I saw him sleeping in his van and then adding more to the cake in the back of it! I understand why he was doing it there though because everyone was inside and you want to deliver a finished product but sleeping in the van!!! Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He mentioned the price of I believe $1700 dollars for one of the cakes. I can't remember which one. The ball park or the wedding cake! Not sure! I do wish more of the construction of their cakes was shown.

Amy

hazelina82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hazelina82 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 6:58am
post #15 of 42

I must say that peacock cake wasn't the greatest. shhh.gif

BooBooKitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BooBooKitty Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 10:19am
post #16 of 42

I bet the $1700 was for the wedding cake.

The ball park cake had 300 man hours plus the 12 hour drive there and back, 24 hours just drive time. OH you know that had to cost tooooo. lol. Unless he was counting the drive time in the 300 man hours.

I think it was just a bad night for the show. lol That deer cake was not pretty to me, rocker king.gif wedding cake blahhhhh and then the other cake with the post cards I thought was stupid with the road all over it. Loved the post cards by themselves just not on the cake with the blacktop road. Then the ball park cake they did all the seats GREEN they looked like grass. lol. Its funny they did so much detail and then the seats were green. icon_confused.gif

BUT I do love they show. lol. icon_smile.gif Oh and he is so cute!!!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 10:39am
post #17 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooKitty

I bet the $1700 was for the wedding cake.

The ball park cake had 300 man hours plus the 12 hour drive there and back, 24 hours just drive time. OH you know that had to cost tooooo. lol. Unless he was counting the drive time in the 300 man hours.

I think it was just a bad night for the show. lol That deer cake was not pretty to me, rocker king.gif wedding cake blahhhhh and then the other cake with the post cards I thought was stupid with the road all over it. Loved the post cards by themselves just not on the cake with the blacktop road. Then the ball park cake they did all the seats GREEN they looked like grass. lol. Its funny they did so much detail and then the seats were green. icon_confused.gif

BUT I do love they show. lol. icon_smile.gif Oh and he is so cute!!!

You are funny LOL. But I have to admit I was not impressed with any of the cakes on that night.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 3:56pm
post #18 of 42

I'll agree with that too.. the cakes weren't good. The deer cake was ugly. We have decorators on CC that have made way better deer cakes then that one! I still like the show though... it's entertaining for sure. I wonder what normal people (non-cake decorators) think of the show? We could start calling the show: "The What Not To Do With Cakes Show" icon_smile.gif

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 4:14pm
post #19 of 42

I was impressed with the stadium cake. Seriously--all those little square buildings? And the shape/structure of the stadium? I thought it was cool.

And I'm thinking that so many people raised hell with them about the transporting of "naked" cakes (meaning no box or wrap) that they just shoved some saran over it.

I haven't done a completely fondant wedding cake yet. But my friend here in town who DOES do fondant cakes tells me she doesn't do anything but put the non-slip mat down and plop the cake right on it to transport. Just the cake and the van--no wrap, no box, nothing. She doesn't want any dents in her cakes. She does the same thing with large buttercream cakes.

I don't see the problem with it, but I'm pretty laid back. I can see if the van was putrid or nasty, all kinds of stuff everywhere. But people just raising cain about the way a cake's transported? Nah--

--Knox--

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 4:31pm
post #20 of 42

If the customers were happy with the cakes that is all that matters...right??

The peacock cake was what she wanted...he made it and got paid for it.

I've made some pretty weird combos,hated them and the client went wild over the cakes.

Tastes are different. He provides a service and gets paid for it. He wouldn't be in business long if he turned down jobs simply because he didn't personally like what his clients order.

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 4:41pm
post #21 of 42

I actually found the peacock cake pretty cool. It was really different and the colors were beautiful! Like we have all said, to each their own! The show is really fun, the staff are amazing at what they do and the show is edited, so remember we certainly do not see all that is involved.
Tracy

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 4:51pm
post #22 of 42
Quote:

I used to work at as a banquet server down town. Every wedding cake that was received was transported the same way that Duff did. All caks assembled and in a large Van not in a box. Even the bakeries that charge $1,000 for a cake. Just some insight!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 5:00pm
post #23 of 42

I have watched this show once and it was the one they did for the kentucky derby... he had to transport the cake (once he weaved his van through) via hand through a crowd of young drunk people, and when I say crowd... I mean thousands... dancing, screaming, yelling... just to get it to the center and HE MADE IT! I could never have done that![/quote]

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! (jokingly horrified!!!)

Not for the Kentucky Derby - I believe you mean the episode where he made a cake for the Preakness Stakes in Baltimore! That's why it had all the Black-eyed Susans. (sorry - I'm in the B'more area, and Duff's shop is in B'more city). The Preakness is a big deal here.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 5:45pm
post #24 of 42

I will be watching the re-run this afternoon at 4:00 if anyone missed it, it will be on today. can't wait to see what you are talking about in this episode!

melody

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 7:14pm
post #25 of 42

I LOVE this show! There are times that I find myself being overly critical of his cakes since I bake myself, BUT it just goes to show that even the experts have good days and bad days. It just inspires me to do my best and to keep trying. ALL of his work is outstanding. It's not all my taste, but they are wonderful, nonetheless. I love his attitude!

Go Duff!

kchart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kchart Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 7:26pm
post #26 of 42

i wonder if duff has ever had an assembled cake just get destroyed while driving around with it in the back of his van

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 7:39pm
post #27 of 42

I would never be brave enough to deliver a wedding cake the way that decorator did on the show, I'd drop it for sure. She's pretty good to be able to do it.

As far as an uncovered cake in a van it's no worse than sitting uncovered in a room, it's not like they have pets in it or something. Cakes probably pick up tons more germs sitting out at the wedding reception than sitting uncovered in the back of a clean vehicle.
I guess I thought they were covering the cakes with saran wrap because it was raining and they didn't want wet spots on them.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 9:26pm
post #28 of 42

The cake that she mentioned $1500 or $1700 was the postcard wedding cake. When she was balancing that thing on her leg to open the door, my husband was wondering if the camera man was going to open the door or let her possibly ruin the cake. I mean, he/she was RIGHT there and watching a potentially big accident? And where did the camera man sleep when Duff was sleeping in the back of the van on the way to Chicago?

jmt1714, thanks for clearing up the Preakness thing, if you hadn't done it I would have. icon_smile.gif

I am impressed with some things they do and I learn things (even though they aren't 'teaching.') I also enjoy the "artists" and Geoff, he's a fun guy. Like when Duff said is the cake going to be done on time? and he said he'd be done faster if Duff would stop asking him questions and starting working on the cake. I also have a feeling the prices on their cakes have been going up with the shows success.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 9:43pm
post #29 of 42

Next week's show should be interesting............they talk about all the e-mail the company gets now; wonder how many from CC members icon_lol.gif

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 9:58pm
post #30 of 42

I transported my castle cake fully assembled and in the floor of my car....no box....No problem....I mean if you make a cake and it won't fit in a box....are you just gonna decorate the whole thing at the party??? Probably not.....I see no problem in it what so ever. If I can find a box a 3d cake will fit in great...if not oh well.

I loved the stadium cake...and in the picture of the stadium they had the seats looked green to me...so it was true to the picture.

I know I would love to have such a successful business that I could charge such high prices and have a television show....not many people in this business can say that about themselves, I think the show is great!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%