Can I Redeem This Modeling Chocolate?

Baking By Carli1074 Updated 29 Dec 2010 , 6:02am by Carli1074

Carli1074 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carli1074 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 6:57am
post #1 of 6

I used a recipe for modeling chocolate using white chocolate and light corn syrup. All the recipes I've found are basically the same. So where did I go wrong? I melted the chocolate, let it cool but not cold. Added the corn syrup and it reacted as the recipe said it would: hardened quickly. Molded it into a ball and refrigerated for 2 hours. When I pulled it out, it was rock hard. I let it sit out a while and still rock hard. Then I put it in the microwave for 30 seconds. I was able to start squishing it but it crumbled into pieces. I finally added some corn syrup to it and now it's doughy but very very sticky.

I have two other dough balls to work with if I can't redeem that one but they're still in rock hard form.

What do I do? Thanks for any help!

5 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 8:04am
post #2 of 6

I can only tell you my one and only experience with it. I was told by others here to NOT refrigerate it after I had already done so. Mine too was rock hard but I just started working it with my hands. Ever so slowly because the stuff was so stiff. But slowly the warmth of my hands began to make it easier and easier to work with. It will be somewhat crumbly...the consistency of a tootsie roll. I even questioned that myself but that's what others told me to expect. I have hot hands so the chocolate got soft but never stretchy like fondant. I was able to make my decor with it. (The cake I used it on is the western cake with the horseshoe on top in my photos.) I imagine the corn syrup you used is going to affect the texture now. You might want to start over. Anyway, I used it once I was able to knead it and roll it. It does take time though. Be patient...and have hot hands! good luck!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 8:22am
post #3 of 6

hi, i always melt my chocolate on low in micrwave. I have to do this several times. I stir each time i take it out. if not ready i microwave on low again ,until the chocolate is melted. i then add the corn syrup(some people heat the corn syrup) i never do. i stir, it all comes together as it should. I spread it out on a piece of wax paper or parchment and let it sit over nite. the next morning i break it up into small hand full. it is hard, if my hands doesn,t get it to come together,i stick this piece in micro for just a few sec. on very low heat. this works for me. i then do the rest of it the same. i roll each piece into a small log, wrap in saran wrap (each piece) and lay at room temp most of the time. i do put it in the fridge at times, after rolling into logs and wrapping. when i get it out , if the log seems too hard, i then put this in the micro for just a few sec. on very low. It always comes together for me to work with. No matter which recipe , i use. this is the way i treat it. hth

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 6

Don't refrigerate it, and if you have to stick it in the microwave only do it for 5-10 seconds at the most. If you overheat it it will act weird and can sometimes separate out. Since you added more corn syrup to it you might not be able to save that piece, just work on the other sections and leave it at room temp, then knead it to warm it up.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 11:11pm
post #5 of 6

I've "re-claimed" modeling chocolate.

The quickest way to do it is to put it all together in a microwave safe PLASTIC bowl (fewer hot spots). Microwave on 50% power for a minute, turn over/rotate while still "solid", repeat until you can "stir" it with a spatula--like a thick batter or soft dough. Spread out warm dough on some saran or wax paper, wrap in saran or wax paper and allow to sit on the counter overnight.

It will be very hard when set--nature of the beast. Break off a piece and knead. If it's too hard at first, nuke on 50% for 10 seconds.

HTH
Rae

Carli1074 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carli1074 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 6:02am
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for your help. I have 17 little mini penguins in the fridge right now, seeing if the one I added corn syrup to will now re-set-up. We'll see! I'm going to give it a go with the rest, based on the rec's here and see it ends up. Again, thank you for your helpful replies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%