Rkt - Opinions, Please

Decorating By playingwithsugar Updated 29 Dec 2010 , 3:28pm by poohsmomma

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 5:54am
post #1 of 9

I'm seeing more and more cakes done with RKT for features, and on some cakes I've seen done on TV, a lot more RKT than I would be comfortable offering to a customer as a cake.

I think the finished surfaces of products made with RKT are rough and uninspiring, and that more cake artists are using them as shortcuts, rather than as a necessity (meaning, it would be darn near impossible to make the same feature from cake or mold it from chocolate or pastillage/gumpaste). If I order a cake, I want cake, not a lot of RKT that I never ordered.

I would like to know your opinions as to what trends you've seen, whether you use them, and to what extent.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

8 replies
JaLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaLee Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 6:38am
post #2 of 9

I've never used them on my cakes, but I have friends that use RKT for very specific decor. Specific.. As in.. Only for small portions of a cake that would otherwise be unstable or too heavy if a different medium was used. The last I saw was a HUGE castle cake.. The turrets were the only things made out of RKT, which actually helped with the cobblestone-esque design. The little girls at the birthday party loved it.. They kept saying it was like an extra treat icon_smile.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 6:46am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

I think the finished surfaces of products made with RKT are rough and uninspiring

Not necessarily....
I've found that spreading melted chocolate on it, then smoothing with a hot spatula, and covering with a slightly thicker piece of fondant, works wonders...
You can see the back of the stove in the first link, and the wipes & baby powder in the 2nd:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1894699

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1791124

I don't have customers, so I don't worry about it.
If I was the customer though, I would be upset if it wasn't disclosed to me before-hand.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 6:58am
post #4 of 9

RKT can be smoothed by first firmly pressing the RKT together, than getting a pairing knife and smoothing, or a lemon zester. As far as when to use them I only think that it should be used when cake can not hold up, IMPOSSIBLE to hold up. I used them to sculpt a small thomas the train, a small prego belly, just because they were so small they would have been pointless to bake a cake just for those tiny elements that were on it. I did use RKT on the top dome of my son's birthday cake for 2 reasons. 1. we didnt have enough people coming to eat all the cake, even if every single person there took some home, and 2. RKT just was much easier than carving cake, I pressed it into a bowl and vwah la! a dome was made with no cake carving! I do not like seeing bakers making more RKT than cake, or a large amount of their design to be RKT. However, it it sometimes a good idea to use it!

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 9

I use rice krispie treats only when the alternative would be structurally unsound, too heavy, or take weeks to dry. There are plenty of things I can make out of gumpaste but it someone only asks you for a cake 3 days in advance that just does not give gumpaste enough time to dry. I always explain to the person if I am going to use RKT. Most children get excited about the RKT and end up eating that not the cake. Since I don't even like cake I would be the one eating the RKT too! icon_smile.gif

DaphneSUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaphneSUE Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 9

i used RKT on a deer mount cake i did...take a look at it, it is in my photos...where the base of the neck is is two 10" round cakes and then from there up i used RKT because the head and neck almost lay's parrellel with the table and cake would not have held up...

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaLee

I've never used them on my cakes, but I have friends that use RKT for very specific decor. Specific.. As in.. Only for small portions of a cake that would otherwise be unstable or too heavy if a different medium was used. The last I saw was a HUGE castle cake.. The turrets were the only things made out of RKT, which actually helped with the cobblestone-esque design. The little girls at the birthday party loved it.. They kept saying it was like an extra treat icon_smile.gif

I used RKT as the top of my circus tent (in my pics) cake. My client actually loved it. I told them ahead of time, but she didn't tell her daughter. Her daughter loved it as an extra treat as well.

I use a crusting buttercream and smoothed it so it wasn't "bumpy" at all.

cantoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cantoncakes Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 9

I have used RKT on some of my cakes. While I agree that the amount should not be excessive in comparison to the cake itself, I feel that it can be better than gum paste sometimes because it's at least another edible feature. Like so many others have said, some people really enjoy the special treat.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 3:28pm
post #9 of 9

I use RKT for models-like tractors or cars-that are used as cake toppers. They're lightweight and they stay together well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%