How To Decorate The Wilton Bear Cake

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 3 Jan 2011 , 2:13am by cheatize

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 10:48pm
post #1 of 24

I have read the instructions on how to decorate the wilton bear and bake it from the wilton site but it all sounds confusing. Does anyone know of any videos on you tube for this (I have searched and cound't find it).

23 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 24

If you are interested in doing it in star piping there are some tutorials on you tube that shows you how:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+do+star+piping+on+cakes&aq=f

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 24

He was the very first pan I got, geez, 30 years ago???? I was confused too, until I got going. I'm sure you'll catch on as soon as you start. He's still my favorite Wilton pan.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 24

I am worried that it will be raw in the middle. Do you put the 2 tins together and bake it as a whole or do you makw the 2 halves seperately, then put together with buttercream once ints baked?

dchinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchinda Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 24

You bake the whole cake at the same time. You clamp both sides together with the metal clamps that should have came with the bear pan. Make sure you pour enough cake batter in to the pan otherwise it won't look much like a bear.

cownsj Posted 28 Dec 2010 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 24

Absolutely, really fill him up; I think I used 2 cake mixes. And be sure to put a cookie sheet underneath him for the overflow of batter that comes out of the pan. You don't want that burning on the bottom of the oven. But you do want the overflow because that's how his feet and bottom get filled out. And if you're forced to eat the part that overflows, oh well, it's a dirty job, but someone "gets" to do it....

MissCakeCrazy Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 11:59am
post #7 of 24

Ha ha..thanks you two for the tips. So from what I understand, I clamp the sides together, THEN pour the batter in. I am worried as there will be so much batter, it may not cook though (stay raw in the middle and dry outside). I have used the core method before and it hasn't worked on normal cakes. I don't use cake mix, I do the cakes from scratch. Shall I make a batter for a 12" square cake or bigger?

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 12:09pm
post #8 of 24

trust me it cooks just fine, takes a while. no way it would be so popular if the cakes didnt bake.
i cant remember how much batter i put it - the wilton site says how many cups of batter you need - to be honest id put in more next time - maybe victoria sponge doesnt rise the same way as box cake. but usually a box mix is about an 8 inch cake.
xx

MissCakeCrazy Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 12:10pm
post #9 of 24

I am planning to bake it in February for my son's 2nd birthday. Thanks everyone..

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 1:37pm
post #10 of 24

I used a madeira cake recipe in my tin with trial and error on quantity I found out it takes a 3 egg mixture. The cake cooked all the way through and the bear came out fine. I did use Wilton cake release on the tin to make sure it did not stick. Wish I knew about the cookie sheet first time I tried took me ages to clean the oven icon_smile.gif

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 1:55pm
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Absolutely, really fill him up; I think I used 2 cake mixes. And be sure to put a cookie sheet underneath him for the overflow of batter that comes out of the pan. You don't want that burning on the bottom of the oven. But you do want the overflow because that's how his feet and bottom get filled out. And if you're forced to eat the part that overflows, oh well, it's a dirty job, but someone "gets" to do it....

I totally agree! Although I just used the box mix pound cake and it came out perfect - baked thoroughly and everything.

I've iced my bears using the star tip as well as the grass tip. Both looked great, it just depends on what look you want. You can see the difference in my photos if you are interested. I also have pictures of the decorating process of the white bear (grass tip) in my photos. If you're interested in those pics, PM me and I can send them to you.

Good luck, and post pictures when you're done!!

cownsj Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 2:56pm
post #12 of 24

Only once did I use the center core.... It was more throuble than it's worth, you get less cake, and I did have it collapse on me when I took the core out. I just keep checking, using a cake tester or long skewer, to check for doneness. I've never had a problem with it being moist enough and it's sturdier. And any overflower on his bottom I trim with a knife before I take the pan off so it comes out even. And be sure to follow the instructions of letting it cool in one of the pan first, then switching to the other half of the pan. It helps him hold him shape while he cools and sets up. Enjoy. He's so much fun when he's done.

I've cut slices into his ears where a birthday hat would fit him and put one on him, and one of those balloons on a stick goes in his hand.

Manderly42 Posted 29 Dec 2010 , 4:33pm
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyscakes

I used a madeira cake recipe in my tin with trial and error on quantity I found out it takes a 3 egg mixture. The cake cooked all the way through and the bear came out fine. I did use Wilton cake release on the tin to make sure it did not stick. Wish I knew about the cookie sheet first time I tried took me ages to clean the oven icon_smile.gif

There are oven liners that you can put on the bottom of your oven to catch drips and the like. I have one because I HATE cleaning the bottom of the oven!! I still use the pan, though. Better to have it and not need it, right?!

I'll have to try making one without the core. I was thinking the WASC recipe might be great for this pan but Madeira sounds delicious! Is there a recipe on CC? TIA!

jillyscakes Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 1:25pm
post #14 of 24

Manderly 42 I have checked the recipes on here and the one under British cakes is not the same as the one I use. My one is 6oz self raising flour, 6oz caster sugar, 6oz unsalted butter, 3oz plain flour and 3 eggs. Traditional flavour add lemon juice or if prefer add vanilla extract with tablespoon milk. thumbs_up.gif

Manderly42 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 1:51pm
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyscakes

Manderly 42 I have checked the recipes on here and the one under British cakes is not the same as the one I use. My one is 6oz self raising flour, 6oz caster sugar, 6oz unsalted butter, 3oz plain flour and 3 eggs. Traditional flavour add lemon juice or if prefer add vanilla extract with tablespoon milk. thumbs_up.gif

Thank you!!!

MissCakeCrazy Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:03pm
post #16 of 24

I have asked my local cake decorating shop if they hire the wilton standing bear pan but they don't. Don't know if its worth me buying it elsewhere

DH2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DH2008 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 3:11pm
post #17 of 24

So am I to understand that it's better NOT to use the core. Bought this pan off someone but haven't used it yet. I thought the core looked awful big & was thinking wow that's a lot of wasted cake space! icon_cry.gificon_biggrin.gif

jillyscakes Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:15pm
post #18 of 24

I did buy mine and have used it a fair bit so for me it was worth it. Once people see it in you portfolio you get asked for it more. I did use the the core as Wilton instructed but did not put cake back but filled it buttercream.

jody30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jody30 Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 5:37pm
post #19 of 24

I too have made this bear cake.. This was the 2nd cake I ever made.. check it out in my photo's. I used the grass tip as I thought it looked like fur when all done...

cownsj Posted 30 Dec 2010 , 8:56pm
post #20 of 24

I don't use the core for a couple reasons, one is that it is wasted space for cake, and two, unless you are keeping the cake in your possession, you need to removed the core and that takes away from how sturdy the cake itself is. I found I had an easier time with it baking without the core, and certainly easier to check for doneness.

As for price, they still sell it in AC Moore and Michaels, so you can use the coupon. Plus, you can probably get it on ebay for a good price.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 2:00pm
post #21 of 24

Ebay sells it for the same price (£30)

cownsj Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 3:49pm
post #22 of 24

Maybe you could contact some of the US sellers and ask if they will ship to UK. This seller has both the large AND small bear for $5.99: http://cgi.ebay.com/2-WILTON-3D-BEAR-CAKE-PANS-1-SMALL-1-LARGE-/230568167767?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35aeef0957

And here is a page of other listings: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=3D+bear+pan&_sacat=See-All-Categories

jillyscakes Posted 2 Jan 2011 , 8:16pm
post #23 of 24

Cheapest web site I know is sugarshack.co.uk who have the the pan for £23.99

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 3 Jan 2011 , 2:13am
post #24 of 24

I used the core when I used that pan. I filled the core with batter (after greasing and flouring it) and let it bake along with/inside the cake. I'm too chicken to leave a huge hole like that and expect it to not break.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%