Cricut Expressions Vs Cricut Cake?

Decorating By rharris524 Updated 26 Dec 2010 , 2:05pm by rharris524

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 8

I wanted the cricut cake for Christmas and I was pretty sure my mom was getting it for me so I didn't attempt to get one at the sales. Well, she was so proud of herself for getting it...but she actually got me the cricut expression. She can't find her receipt and she bought it at black friday anyhow so we're not sure if they'll exchange it. Would it still be usable for cake stuff or am I SOOL?

7 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 8

Yes but with a couple of modifications. You need to get the deep housing blade and housing for starters. I know that a couple of people either moved the rollers that are in the center of the thingymajig (not sure of the name) so that they wouldn't touch the fondant to the outside. Think that is a good beginning. Remove the sticky stuff from the the mat. I think that is all I can remember though. Hope that begins to help!!

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 10:37pm
post #3 of 8

You tube has a video about how to make it into a cake model.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 8

Google this, as there is info out there telling you how to do it.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 8

Yes but remember that once you make the modifications (removing the middle roller wheel) it does null your warranty. So if you have anything go wrong with it, Cricut will not replace it.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 12:53am
post #6 of 8

Most places ,with out a receipt, will give you store credit or exchange. I know michaels does. But , yes, Linda Mcclure that started all of this has dvd's using the cricut expression. And also on you tube.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 1:04am
post #7 of 8

I know many people got frustrated with the Cricut cake and have returned them....so be sure you are planning on keeping the Expression BEFORE you modify it. Just saying!

If you have not taken the Cricut cake class with the Becky Guidry and Martha Hebert of Two Southern Sisters, I highly recommend it. Lots of little tips that will help you with it. If I had just bought it and tried to use the Cricut cake without the class, I probably would have returned it. So glad I spent the money on a demo. I took it at the Austin cake show in February.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 2:05pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks, I'm still going to try to exchange it but at least if i can't I will still be able to use it. I'm going to Florida ICES in March and they have an hour long demonstration that I plan to attend so hopefully that will help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%