How Do You Prepare Your Pans?

Decorating By YorkieMaMa Updated 27 Dec 2010 , 6:50pm by Mb20fan

YorkieMaMa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YorkieMaMa Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 37

I am fairly new to cake decorating and learned by using Wiltons Cake Release. It works really well, but wonder how each of you prepare your pans. I would like to try another method in case I find something I like better, or run out of Cake Release in the middle of cake baking.

36 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 37

I just use parchment in the bottom of my pans.

But another pan release that's great is:

Combine equal parts shortening and flour then mix in an equal amount of oil.

So that's equal parts of each. Great stuff.

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 37

Parchment on the bottoms, Crisco on the sides.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 37

A thought about that is that cakes can climb better/higher if there's no grease on the sides--you do have to release it with a knife around the edge when it's time to de-pan but...just a thought.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis

I just use parchment in the bottom of my pans.

But another pan release that's great is:

Combine equal parts shortening and flour then mix in an equal amount of oil.

So that's equal parts of each. Great stuff.

I use it all of the time and it works wonders!!!!!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 37

I butter (sometimes Crisco) the sides...a little on the bottom so the parchment will stay put...then a little right on top of the parchment.

I won't bake without parchment.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 11:34pm
post #7 of 37

I use parchment at the bottom, butter on the sides, and if I anticipate the cake's gonna rise very high above the rim of the pan, then parchment on the sides too, with extra height to accommodate the rising batter.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 12:15am
post #8 of 37

pan grease - been using that for years. I've recently switched from waxed paper onthe bottom of the pan to parchment. The wax paper works fine, but I decided my time was valuable. I purchased 1000 packs of the precut parchment rounds for pretty much every size pan. Eaaassy!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 8:41am
post #9 of 37

Grease only .... no flour. And by "grease" I mean Pan Release or any such similar product. If I'm out of that I use plain Crisco. bottoms and sides. I haven't floured a pan in decades.

Cupcakeavenue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakeavenue Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 3:41pm
post #10 of 37

wilton cake release, a fantastic product

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 4:04pm
post #11 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcakeavenue

wilton cake release, a fantastic product

ditto

DaphneSUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaphneSUE Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 4:19pm
post #12 of 37

i was using just cooking spray but i found that it made the bottoms and sides of the cake soggy ...Bakers Joy is what we use now...works pretty good

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 4:39pm
post #13 of 37

Walmart cooking spray and wax paper on the bottom. And of course, flower nail, if the cake is bigger than 8".

ILE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ILE Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 5:04pm
post #14 of 37

parchment paper work for me.

KieslerKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KieslerKakes Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 5:28pm
post #15 of 37

I use wax paper on bottom and sides. No mess, no fuss, no spraying. The cakes are easy to store with wax paper left on.

SleeplessBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SleeplessBaker Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 5:46pm
post #16 of 37

Bakers Joy. Since I started using it I haven't had a single cake stick. Even when I forgot about a cake I had cooling. It cooled completly in the pan. A few taps on the bottom and it came out perfectly.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 5:48pm
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Grease only .... no flour. And by "grease" I mean Pan Release or any such similar product. If I'm out of that I use plain Crisco. bottoms and sides. I haven't floured a pan in decades.

Really? don't flour the pan? WOW I learned from my grandmother to ALWAYS grease(use butter) and flour...so just Crisco or pan release alone works? I also use renolds (sp?) on the bottom, not sure if thats wax or parchment lol! didnt know there was a difference! Gosh I need to do some research!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 7:20pm
post #18 of 37

Years and years ago, I read that using just butter/fat to grease your pans made your cakes "fry" on the edges. I also read that flour made your cakes dry on the edges. However, using the bakers grease that is equal parts of shortening, oil and flour, works fantastically! I also put a pre-cut round of parchment in the bottom of all pans.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 7:32pm
post #19 of 37

I just use the pan release as well with no parchment papers, etc.

For those that do both, what is the benefit for using the paper? I find that the pan release works great on its own, so why would you need the paper too?

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 7:43pm
post #20 of 37

Using the parchment for me just makes double sure that my cakes are easy to turn out, whether they are are hot, lukewarm, or cool. It's ease of mind icon_wink.gif Nothing worse than a chunk of cake getting stuck to the pan, and wrecking the whole thing.

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 5:19pm
post #21 of 37

I use the homemade cake release as well. I also put parchment paper on the bottom and around the sides if I put extra batter in the pan.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 26 Dec 2010 , 5:45pm
post #22 of 37

How do I prepare my pans? Well, I sit them down and have a talk with them. I tell them they have a big job ahead and that I'm counting on them. I tell them it's probably gonna get hot for a while, but I know they can handle the heat......

Ok, I'm being silly. I just use spray on them, and never have a problem.

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 12:42am
post #23 of 37

For most cakes I can get away with regular non-stick spray (i.e. Pam). I've also used non-stick spray with flour but don't notice much difference. I have found that for my red velvet I MUST use wax paper at the bottom and then grease/flour. After you've thrown 3 or so in the trash you learn your lesson!

-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 1:19am
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

How do I prepare my pans? Well, I sit them down and have a talk with them. I tell them they have a big job ahead and that I'm counting on them. I tell them it's probably gonna get hot for a while, but I know they can handle the heat......

Ok, I'm being silly. I just use spray on them, and never have a problem.

Too Funny!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 1:22am
post #25 of 37

But seriously, be real careful with those sprays--don't breath that stuff. I always held my breath & sprayed then walked away from the area to breath. Just be careful guys we don't need to grease out lungs too.

<heart>

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 1:23am
post #26 of 37

Boy, you aren't kidding. I'm always gagging when I have to spray too much. I should put on a face mask for it.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 1:25am
post #27 of 37

I love Pillsbury cooking spray with flour. It's kind ofhard to find in my area, only a few stores carry it so when I buy it I get a couple. I've never had a cake stick to the pan, when I don't fall asleep and forget it in the pan while it's cooling that is... icon_redface.gif

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 1:38am
post #28 of 37

I used to use Pam, then I buttered/floured my pans. Then I used to cut out wax paper for the bottoms.

Now, I just spray Baker's Joy all over and buy the pre cut parchment rounds and put those in the bottom. Have never had a problem since and I've saved a lot of time. I find that the parchment is good for the moister cakes and gets them to release easily.

Carmelo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carmelo Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 1:56am
post #29 of 37

There is a Baking PAM that sprays PAM and Flour. Try it. I like it.

-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 1:57am
post #30 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Boy, you aren't kidding. I'm always gagging when I have to spray too much. I should put on a face mask for it.

Honestly seriously wearing a mask is a great idea especially if you're doing a bunch of pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%