Buttercream Disaster

Decorating By DaphneSUE Updated 25 Dec 2010 , 2:42am by JanH

DaphneSUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaphneSUE Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:08am
post #1 of 17

So I tried this buttercream recipe...this was my first time ever making buttercream...and it turned out awfull...this was the recipe...2 1/2 cups sugar, 10 large egg whites, 2 pounds(8 sticks) unsalted butter, 2 teaspoons vanilla...i followed it to a tee other than i didn't have unsalted butter so i used regular...could that have been my problem...but it has a very strong butter flavor...like ridiculous amount...please help...is there a better recipe out there or did i just do something wrong on this one?

16 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:23am
post #2 of 17

How exactly did it turn out.Some people say that they do use salted butter. I only use unsalted. Tell us how you made it and how it is now.Is it swiss meringue buttercream, where you cook the sugar and egg whites and then beat them till stiff peaks and then add the butter etc. Did it come out smooth and you just don,t like the taste or what. I never make the plain, i always add lemon oil, melted chocolate, p-nut butter, etc. So tell us just a little more of what yours turned out like.hth

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:23am
post #3 of 17

That sounds like IMBC and I'm not terribly familiar with it. Other than a strong butter flavor, what is wrong with it?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:28am
post #4 of 17

If the problem is you don't like the butter flavor, I'd imagine its because you used salted butter....unsalted butter has alot milder flavor....

DaphneSUE Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:44am
post #5 of 17

icer101, yes that is how the recipe said to do it...in a double boiler heat the egg whites and the sugar till sugar is dissolved, then move to the mixer and mix till stiff peaks...then mix in the butter a tblsp. at a time...after doing this it was just way too much butter flavor...honestly it turned out extremely smooth...the texture of this icing was amazing...just really way to much butter flavor...well i messed with it a little bit and added some almond extract and a lot of PS and now it tastes a bit better but not as good as i would like...

lholybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lholybee Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 6:09am
post #6 of 17

that happened to me the first time I made SMBC too. It was because you used salted butter. I usually use 1 part salted, 2 parts unsalted butter and it is perfect.

icer101 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 6:29am
post #7 of 17

ok, but you are not suppose to add p/s to smbc or imbc. I guess you did, just trying to make it taste better. From now on, just use unsalted butter. Like i said , i never make just the plain recipe. I have to use lemon oil , etc. Other people that make it plain, say to use more vanilla than it calls for. They say, this makes it taste better. So try that next time. Using the lemon oil or orange oil or melted chocolate, etc. makes is taste so much better too. Some on this site, makes indydebi's buttercream recipe , then a recipe of the smbc and mix the 2 together. Actually , they had a picture of it last week showing how well it comes together and says it is really great tasting. So , now make a recipe of your reg. american b/c and add this smbc to it. It should taste really good. hth

DaphneSUE Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 7:55am
post #8 of 17

where can i find the recipe for the american bc

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 2:37pm
post #9 of 17

Check this site under recipes or you can go to the Wilton site and I'm sure they have one too.

icer101 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 3:00pm
post #10 of 17

yes, lots of good american b/c recipes on this site. Indydebi's is on this site uner frosting recipes. also buttercream dream, etc. just check them all out. all are very good.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 3:03pm
post #11 of 17

That's no where near enough vanilla.
I'd be using 3 tablespoons for nine egg whites for swiss meringue bc.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 3:07pm
post #12 of 17

That recipe is a fluke. One teaspoon of vanilla to flavor one pound of butter? Just say 'not the best recipe'.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 3:25pm
post #13 of 17

I'd reduce the sugar to 2 cups and make sure to use unsalted butter, that can throw the flavor WAAAYYY off.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 7:44pm
post #14 of 17

Oh lordy, it's DEFINITELY the salted butter. That is one substitution you CANNOT make in a meringue buttercream. Try it again with unsalted and you will be impressed with the change. And if you feel that you need more vanilla, you can still add it still after it's done and tasted. Do not add powdered sugar.

DaphneSUE Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 2:10am
post #15 of 17

i tried this recipe tonight on a cake i made and i liked it alot better....i have heard people say don't use powdered sugar in buttercream...so is this not a buttercream recipe...

2 lbs unsalted butter, at room temperature
16 Cups powdered sugar (4 lbs)
1 TBL plus 1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 Cup heavy cream OR light corn syrup (not nearly as good, but works)

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 2:18am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaphneSUE

i tried this recipe tonight on a cake i made and i liked it alot better....i have heard people say don't use powdered sugar in buttercream...so is this not a buttercream recipe...

2 lbs unsalted butter, at room temperature
16 Cups powdered sugar (4 lbs)
1 TBL plus 1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 Cup heavy cream OR light corn syrup (not nearly as good, but works)

It's not that your don't use powdered sugar in buttercream but the first one that you tried was a meringue based and those don't use powdered sugar but american buttercream has powdered sugar.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 2:42am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

Oh lordy, it's DEFINITELY the salted butter. That is one substitution you CANNOT make in a meringue buttercream. Try it again with unsalted and you will be impressed with the change. And if you feel that you need more vanilla, you can still add it still after it's done and tasted. Do not add powdered sugar.

IMHO, this might be another area where personal preference makes all the difference because ShirleyW's IMBC uses salted butter (and yet is highly rated):

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2426/italian-meringue-buttercream-shirleys-method

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%