How Can I Save My Pans? Please Help!

Decorating By cloetzu Updated 24 Dec 2010 , 9:17pm by CWR41

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 2:50am
post #1 of 16

I recently purchased the Wilton mini ball pans (2).... washed them by hand and then used them... BUT earlier today they were accidentally put into the dishwaser! So now they look horrible - they have a white powdery film on them...

I paid $16 each for them and would really hate to have to put them in the garbage! Is there anyway to fix/save them?

15 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 2:55am
post #2 of 16

I don't think it will affect them baking, they will just look ucky from now on. Hand wash them, and make sure you grease them well when you use them from now on.

Frecklysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frecklysmom Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 3:15am
post #3 of 16

I did that to one of my pans too! It looks awful but it hasn't affected the way my cakes bake.

jenncowin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenncowin Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 4:02am
post #4 of 16

The metal has just oxidized. They will still bake fine like the others said, they just look bad. I have several that this happened to before I found out you weren't supposed to put them in the dishwasher. ALL of my cake stuff gets hand washed now! <y family knows not to touch it! lol

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 4:47am
post #5 of 16

Yeah I have quite a few pans like that...

My husband took some steel wool pads to a couple of them for me and while it left some scrub marks in the pan, it did shine them back up some.

It won't affect their performance....it just looks blah.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:02am
post #6 of 16

yeah mine are dull but work just fine

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:06am
post #7 of 16

I recently read that phosphates have been outlawed by many states because it has a horrible effect on the soil. Phosphates are the primary cleaning ingredient in detergents. Cascade changed their formula to one that no longer uses phosphates and now people are complaining that there is a whitish film on their dishes that used to sparkle. The article said that the whitish film doesn't hurt anything one little bit--it just looks bad.

I thought my dishwasher was broken somehow because Cascade used to make everything perfect in my dishwasher. I ran across the article while researching to see if I could do the repairs myself. I'm going to try using vinegar on my glassware to get rid of the white stuff--maybe that will work on your pans?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:08am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

I recently read that phosphates have been outlawed by many states because it has a horrible effect on the soil. Phosphates are the primary cleaning ingredient in detergents. Cascade changed their formula to one that no longer uses phosphates and now people are complaining that there is a whitish film on their dishes that used to sparkle. The article said that the whitish film doesn't hurt anything one little bit--it just looks bad.

I thought my dishwasher was broken somehow because Cascade used to make everything perfect in my dishwasher. I ran across the article while researching to see if I could do the repairs myself. I'm going to try using vinegar on my glassware to get rid of the white stuff--maybe that will work on your pans?

That's very interesting....I find dishwashers just don't clean "like they used to" and maybe that's why....

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 16

8 nanny states decided that phosphates are bad. Outlawed them around July 1, 2010.

Just for the record; phosphates are bad and the nanny states got it right! We'll stop the algae clogging rivers, lakes and streams.

Unfortunately for us, the companies manufacturing the dishwasher soap, made a decision.

They decided to change the formula for the entire country and tell us, that they're all aboard the green train. They just made sure their lines of production to delivery would be more efficient.

The dishwasher manufactures aren't pleased either.

I do the vinegar thing. It took about 2 gallons and scrubbing my DW, but my stuff comes out looking brand new. Sounds disgusting, but I didn't know my dinner plates could squeak!

If your DW is under warranty, don't work the vinegar stuff too much. It might eat it's innards and then the warranty is useless.

That being said, I called Maytag (my DW people) and I was told I'm supposed to clean it at least once a year with vinegar. I've looked through all the documentation and instructions; haven't found that blurb.

Since my DW has been out of warranty for a year, went through a recall...vinegar rotting the innards is not a huge concern.

Stuff is coming out sparkling. I use about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of vinegar at the very beginning of about the 6th load.

Hth

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 2:21pm
post #10 of 16

Wow... thanks for this information ya'll... I also have a Maytag and even called a repairman to "fix" mine. The white film was aggravating to say the least.... I just learned more here than he knew icon_eek.gif He said the dishwasher wasn't getting enough water to rinse properly and adjusted it.. icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif I think I will call him back and educate him... uhhhh, maybe not... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 2:58pm
post #11 of 16

thanks Gomo, that's more info than I got. Merry Christmas to you and all your little ones, Gomo. Apti is READY for Christmas Eve and Christmas morning!

Everybody else, I say screw the dishes for 48 hours, IT'S CHRISTMAS!!! Yippee!

vharbin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vharbin Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 2:59pm
post #12 of 16

Wow! Thanks everyone! Who knew I'd learn so much non-cake info in this post. I was beginning to think I was going to have to buy a new dishwasher. My hasn't been cleaning well either. I switched to Cascade and have been getting that white film too. It's been very frustrating. I'll give the vinegar trick a try.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 5:39pm
post #13 of 16

I throw all my cake pans in the dishwasher. I don't care how they look. They are not entering a fashion show - they are just baking a cake.

Interesting about the vinegar. You scrub it or just add it to a load of dishes - or empty load - and let it go through a cycle?

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 6:38pm
post #14 of 16

See, I knew there was a reason I've never used a dishwasher..... LOL Ok, that's not it, I just don't like them, never did. Even when I had a dishwasher, I never once used it. As a kid, I never understood the notion of washing the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, it just made more sense to me to just finish doing the job by hand and not have yucky stuff run down my hand while I loaded them into the dishwasher. then I noticed how my mothers nice glasses went from nice cut crystal to white messy globs. At least now I can use my cake pans as a 'valid' excuse why I don't want to use one....

kdbohm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdbohm Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 7:12pm
post #15 of 16

I have always put my pans in the dishwasher and never had a problem. Lately, I have had them coming out with the white stuff on them. Didn't know that about the detergents, but makes sense! Even my pots and pans are coming out the same way.

We had our dishwasher repaired this summer. The guy did tell me to run vinegar through it every once in a while.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 9:17pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

I noticed how my mothers nice glasses went from nice cut crystal to white messy globs.

The granular detergents actually scratch the glass, but the liquid detergents aren't suppose to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%