What To Charge For 2D Cupcakes??

Baking By KsCakes09 Updated 27 Dec 2010 , 2:59pm by alvarezmom

KsCakes09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KsCakes09 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 9

I have a request for 2D character cupcakes that are very detailed(Disney theme). I have no idea what to charge for them. The are super detailed, can anyone give me some ideas on where to start for a price? Thanks.

8 replies
mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 9

you're going to get one of two answers:

a)you can't. they're licensed. and disney especially loves to hunt folks down for profiting off of them.

b) what do you charge for basic cupcakes? add in additional labor/materials and go from there.

of course, there's tangents on both of these, such as are you licensed, have you done cupcakes before, are you using fondant, don't forget your utilities, etc....

but pricing questions about licensed characters tend to go down a gnarly road. since i'm in the 'it's not my business what you do' camp, i'd go with answer b.

KsCakes09 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 9

I hear ya I guess pricing is a touchy subject, but how do so many other people do the licensed characters? the picture that I was shown as an example came from someone else who made them. what would the licensed company do?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsCakes09

I hear ya I guess pricing is a touchy subject, but how do so many other people do the licensed characters? the picture that I was shown as an example came from someone else who made them. what would the licensed company do?

Just because someone has made them doesn't mean that they sold them. Technically speaking you can't recreate it at all, but copyright holders tend to only go after the people who are charging and making money off of their copyrighted item (logo, character, even the shape of a bottle, etc...)

And some people just do it even though its illegal, and others make them to sell not knowing it's illegal. Theres a whole array of things that could be behind them. I personally make copyrighted items for my nephews and neice, but i don't sell them (they're gifts 100%) and I don't post them in my portfolio for customers to see, so they dont' think they're for sale.

mrsbriggs06 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 9

some people don't care & do it anyway.

others make them only for family/friends as gifts.

I have licensed work in my gallery, but i'm in that second boat.

& as far as what the licensing company would do if you didn't obtain their permission first, they can sue. or they can simply order you to stop..

KsCakes09 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 9

that makes sense.
I have seen things on some bakers websites, even some chocolate molds that look exactly like licensed characters but they name them something else (ex. say its Hello Kitty...they might call it Pretty Kitty or something) is that ok to do?

mrsbriggs06 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 9

nope.

search "copyright' on here and you'll see all the past hashings out.

you can't change micky mouses' ears to green and call him mooky mouse.. etc.

not saying people don't.. but that it is definitely not encouraged.

KsCakes09 Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 5:19pm
post #8 of 9

kinda funny when you think about it. i'm going to check that topic out.
thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 27 Dec 2010 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbriggs06

you're going to get one of two answers:

a)you can't. they're licensed. and disney especially loves to hunt folks down for profiting off of them.

b) what do you charge for basic cupcakes? add in additional labor/materials and go from there.

of course, there's tangents on both of these, such as are you licensed, have you done cupcakes before, are you using fondant, don't forget your utilities, etc....

but pricing questions about licensed characters tend to go down a gnarly road. since i'm in the 'it's not my business what you do' camp, i'd go with answer b.

Great answer! thumbs_up.gif

Even if you kinda change the look Disney can still come backa nd say it looks like it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%