New Cake Business & Can't Believe What Some People Do!

Business By korensmommy Updated 24 Dec 2010 , 4:16am by dldbrou

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 7:36pm
post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

When i got a line at the shop strictly for my fax machine, I put a VM message that "you've reached the fax line of CIS. To reach the office, please dial blah-blah-blah. All vendors should ask for Sally in purchasing."

then .... when I'd get a call asking for Sally, I'd know it was a salesman and I'd tell him Sally just stepped out to go to the bank or pick up supplies or something and I'd offer to take a message.

There WAS no Sally. It was my way of screening my calls. icon_twisted.gif

BRILLIANT!! icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 8:45pm
post #32 of 35

Thanks everyone! Glad to know I'm not the only one with this issue! Luckily the baristas handle a lot of the solicitors since they are in the front and I'm in the back. They have gotten good at doing their jobs and sort of listening to what these people have to say. Today we received 2 different sets of magnets, a calendar and a bunch of business cards!

I would also like to thank Debi for taking the time to answer my business related questions before we opened the shop - thanks for your help!!!

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 9:10pm
post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva101

AT&T solicitors are the worse! thumbsdown.gif

I agree with that. Actually YP has been the worst about calling and pretending that we had ordered services from them and wanting us to pay. icon_mad.gif But what we got more than anything was request for credit card merchant services. As we ordered our business checks, we got bombarded with credit card merchant services wanting to sell us a swiper. When we got a call from one company wanting to check our swiper, and we didn't have one, I was just blown away.

The customers are great for the most part, it's some of the underhanded vendors that irritate the fire out of me.

Yes! When we got our LLC for our real-estate business the credit card companies were the worst. I got tons of junk mail everyday from them. Not to mention all the phone calls. I was super excited the first time I got a piece of junk mail addressed to our business name. That was really fun. A couple of weeks later it wasnt so fun anymore lol. The most annoying thing I have to deal with now is this company that desperately wants to sell us a postage printer. I called their customer service number and asked them to stop sending us stuff we arent interested but I noticed since I called weve gotten more letters then before.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 10:11pm
post #34 of 35

Deb - I chuckled at your message. My coffee shop was called "Jessie's Java" - named after one of my little dogs. When someone called and asked to speak to "Jessie," we knew it was a salesman. One of my biggest complaints this time of year, was the number of business in our town soliciting gifts for their company Christmas party!!! Give me a break - very few of their employees ever graced the door of my shop. If they had, I would still be in business!!

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 24 Dec 2010 , 4:16am
post #35 of 35

I take the junk mail and write on the front of the envelope, "Return to sender".

Tell all telephone vendors that your Financial Administrator handles all sales questions by mail only. If they send the information, the Administrator will look it over and make the decision.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%