Dry, Dry Too Dry!!!

Baking By liamsmommy Updated 25 Dec 2010 , 3:34pm by Cupcakeavenue

liamsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liamsmommy Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 12

I made this recipe...

http://joyofbaking.com/VanillaCupcakes.html

It had a good flavor but was too dry. I tried less oven time but still too dry. Any thoughts?

11 replies
tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 12

The proportions seem right, maybe add 1/2 cup vs 1/4 cup of milk. That may moisten the cake some.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 12

You might change the milk to vegetable oil. Oil tends to add moistness to cake I think more so than milk.IMO...good luck!

Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 12

Oh man! I got the same recipe! I havent tried it yet but isnt that too much baking powder?

Ambar2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambar2 Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 12

what if you add a pack of vanilla pudding?

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 12

I don't like this recipe. The flour to sugar ratio is too low. And there is not enough fat nor milk either. I would find another vanilla recipe personally.

And three eggs to fat ratio is too much too.

I don't have a recipe I can give you because in the end I made up my own. But there are solo many vanilla cake recipes that i would just chalk it up to experience and try another.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 10:50pm
post #7 of 12

I don't make a lot of cupcakes, but I don't understand why anyone bakes them at 350 degrees, even if the instructions say to do so.

I always bake cupcakes at 325, and leave them in for another 2-3 minutes, if needed. The well in the pan is way too small to handle the extra 25 degrees of heat - just my opinion.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 12

I respectfully disagree. I did a ton of research. Most cupcake recipes, if not all, bake at 350. In the cake boss boom he said they used to bake at 400 and. Ow use 375 to get flat tops. Others have suggested and I have used where you set your temp at 400 for 5 minutes and then lower it to 350.

When I used 325 I did not like the result I got on my cupcakes. I like ,one better baked at 350 or the 400/350 trick.

But every oven is different, so one should use what works for them. And to make statements like I don't understand why some one would bake at that temp gives the impression that this the only way to do something. It isn't. If it works for you at 325, then go for it. But I believe that oven temp is one of those things that is not cut in stone by saying ot that way you make it sound superior to everybody else.

Frankly I don't understand why someone bakes at 325. It makes for a sloppy cupcake that does not rise correctly and becomes a bit concave. I don't like the look, texture or crumb. And yes, I am being superior about it. icon_biggrin.gif

Marinette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marinette Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 11:45pm
post #9 of 12

Well I dont make that recipe but I have the same problem ... TOO DRY. if somebody want shear vanilla cupcake recipe I apreciete! Please

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 11:51pm
post #10 of 12

I bake my cupcakes at 325 and they don't come out sloppy or concave icon_biggrin.gif
I think it depends on each persons oven. When I bake at home I use one temperature, but the bakery oven has to be cranked down some for the same recipe, I guess it's just too fierce?
I do agree that the recipe the OP used has too little fat though, and I would add more sugar too.
And I think 1 1/2 tsp baking powder is a good amount for that much flour icon_wink.gif

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 22 Dec 2010 , 11:52pm
post #11 of 12

I bake all my cakes and cupcakes at 325. They come out exactly how I want them to come out.

Cupcakeavenue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakeavenue Posted 25 Dec 2010 , 3:34pm
post #12 of 12

i would usually say less baking time, if not then add vegetable oil instead of butter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%