How To Create Clean Gold Finished Piping?

Decorating By Motta Updated 21 Dec 2010 , 2:00am by cupadeecakes

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 3:06am
post #1 of 12

I love the look of this cake and would like to try my hand at the intricate piping. I think it's royal icing painted gold. I just don't know what form of gold they used eg. airbrush sheen colors or luster dust??

If I'm wrong, please fill me in on how this was done. I'd love to know! Thanks!

11 replies
Motta Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 3:09am
post #2 of 12

Sorry - attachment didn't work. I'll post the link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/40952239@N00/106889772/

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 3:38am
post #3 of 12

I did some gold lace piping a few weeks ago. I wound up using Sugar Veil to pipe the lacework and then once it cured I dusted it with edible gold dust. I could then place it on the cake and maintain the clean look I wanted. I can pipe well, but it's very difficult for me to go back and paint gold over the top of that. HTH!

Motta Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks Dee. I've never tried SugarVeil but it's on my list! So for now, I'll have to use royal icing.

anyone else try this effect????

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 12

I've heard of decorators piping the royal onto the cake then gilding with lustre dust mixed with vodka just on the top of the piping with a very thin brush.

Motta Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 12

bobwonderbuns - that's what I was thinking of doing. Maybe if I color the royal icing yellow then it wouldn't be so obvious if the gold didn't get around each strand?

bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 4:13pm
post #7 of 12

That's what I would do, use the Americolor gold coloring and that way the white isn't so obvious. By the way, I love that Sugarveil idea!! icon_lol.gif

cupadeecakes Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 9:14pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

By the way, I love that Sugarveil idea!! icon_lol.gif

I uploaded the photo I took of the cake just so you all could see how it turned out. I was pleased with the way it looked when finished.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1897193.html

bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 9:52pm
post #9 of 12

Oh my gosh that's gorgeous!!! Yep, the Sugarveil just moved up to my "must have" list! icon_lol.gif

Motta Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 11:31pm
post #10 of 12

What a beautiful cake! And great idea you had to do the dusting separately before putting it on the cake....very smart.

bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 11:48pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes

Quote:

By the way, I love that Sugarveil idea!! icon_lol.gif

I uploaded the photo I took of the cake just so you all could see how it turned out. I was pleased with the way it looked when finished.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1897193.html

Okay I have a question, how did you attach the sugarveil or did it just stick to the fondant?

cupadeecakes Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 2:00am
post #12 of 12
Quote:

Okay I have a question, how did you attach the sugarveil or did it just stick to the fondant?

I used a small paintbrush to wet the fondant with water. The Sugar Veil stuck just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%