Metallic Copper Color

Decorating By romansfamily Updated 19 Dec 2010 , 3:11pm by brincess_b

romansfamily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
romansfamily Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 12:25am
post #1 of 9

I need to make a cake look like the metal copper. Price is not an option in this one. I am just learning and need some experienced help. Please I have until mid Jan to decide.

8 replies
ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 12:47am
post #2 of 9

Americolor has a metallic copper air brush colour that looks fantastic. I have used it and it looks great. Are you colouring the whole cake or are you just using it for accents?

HTH
Kathy

ladyellam Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 12:50am
post #3 of 9

Americolor has a metallic copper air brush colour that looks fantastic. I have used it and it looks great. Are you colouring the whole cake or are you just using it for accents?

HTH
Kathy

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 1:08am
post #4 of 9

Yup..I agree.Cover the cake in fondant and then you can airbrush it copper...The metallic sheens are awesome on fondant but not on Buttercream.

romansfamily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
romansfamily Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 2:11am
post #5 of 9

they want buttercream could i color the buttercream (whole cake for a copper products company) and add a luster dust. If so what colors do i mix to get a copper color and what dust is edible they only copper color dust i have found is not edible in a copper color. Thanks for your replies so far.

ladyellam Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 2:45am
post #6 of 9

It doesn't look right on buttercream, to me anyway. If you can I would buy some and try it out to see if you like the results.

Lizzard1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzard1 Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 3:21am
post #7 of 9

I would use a airbrush and use a luster dust and alcohol mix and spray it over the cake! icon_smile.gif hope that helps

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 2:55pm
post #8 of 9

I agree with Lizzard1 and Ladyellam...Metallic colors do not look the same on Buttercream..they just don't take the metallic color like fondant.I wouldn't cover the cake in lustre dust as it won't taste that great..Lustre dust is an enhancement but not to cover an entire cake in it...I would ice the cake in a copper icing first as close as you can get the color too and then airbrush it.That is the best you are going to get with BC sorry!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 3:11pm
post #9 of 9

dont mix copper lustre dust with icing - wont give the look either. mix a copper colour as much as you can using food dye (what to use depends what colours you have/ can order - light reddy brown would be a good starting point id think). then use dust over it. dry dusting may work out, or you may need to mix it with alcohol and paint it on. certainly easier to do on fondant than bc. not seen any strong colours on a whole bc cake that i can remember... (have seen it done with an airbrush tho)
they might not 'want' fondant, but if they want a whole cake covered in copper, they mabe dont have much choice!
id say a little experimenting, then get back to them. if it can be done, fine. if it an be done at less than your usual standard and they still refuse fondant, make sure and add that into the contract 'advised client that fondant was needed for the finish they desire. client has decided to use bc' type thing.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%