How Do You Managae Your Weight And The Baking?

Lounge By MamaNenascakes Updated 20 Dec 2010 , 5:10pm by TexasSugar

MamaNenascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaNenascakes Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 15

I've always struggled with my weight... this year I've gotten 5 extra pounds that seem IMPOSSIBLE TO GET RID OF! Hubby said it's because I bake and eat (I sample the baking) a lot.
it's so hard for me to not eat what I bake and I know! I avoid eating a lot! Anyone facing weight problems? what do you do when you bake?

14 replies
cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 15

I've been struggling with my weight forever, but I can't blame it on cake or icing. I don't like to eat cake or icing. Weird I know. I am however a breadaholic. Try chewing gum, something strong while baking and decorating. It may help to curb the urge to sample. Hope it helps.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 15

I'm lucky in that I don't like to eat cake but I love to bake them, so it's not a temptation for me. However I have heard other cakers say they brush their teeth with minty toothpaste and gargle for 30 seconds (hum the Jeopardy song) with minty mouthwash and then keep a diet pop nearby -- none of which go well with sugar! icon_biggrin.gif Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Quote:

this year I've gotten 5 extra pounds that seem IMPOSSIBLE TO GET RID OF! Hubby said it's because I bake and eat (I sample the baking) a lot.

Me toooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have gained 5 lbs this year and i think it's because i started baking this year. good call about the gum and brushing. but, I have to taste for quality control but thanks to your good tips i think they will help

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 15

I love cake scraps. And tasting is important of course. Oh and testing the buttercream. Maybe we should be spitting the sample out, much like wine tasters icon_biggrin.gif

MamaNenascakes Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 15

I'm taking those tips!
I just can't help it! I don't even realize I'm eating cake when I am!

But maybe spiting it up will help too hahaha

aliciam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciam Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 15

I am also having the same problem. I have to sample my cake scraps just incase, I am always worried about taste plus I love sweets. I have found a few great cook books that help with some meal substitutes. The books are by Hungry Girl, all of the recipes taste great, she has 4 books out now plus a website. You can also join her mailing list and you will get tips on eating good food along with some great recipes. Check out her site at www. hungry-girl . comicon_smile.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 11:30pm
post #8 of 15

I would much rather bake than eat, and I rely heavily on my family to sample when I'm experimenting, since I feel overwhelmed easily by sweets (wine and cheese, on the other hand, would be a completely different matter, so I'm lucky I'm not a sommelier icon_wink.gif). However, if you're tasting without even realizing t, I remember reading ere on cc that some people wear surgical masks (easy to buy at any drug store) while decorating and baking. When tour finger keeps running into the mask instead of your mouth, it makes you much more cognizant of how often you're trying to taste, and you become aware of what you're doing. I dint think tasting the sample is wrong, if that's all you're doing. I think the issue is when you're nibbling mindlessly, that's where you can do some real damage.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 18 Dec 2010 , 11:56pm
post #9 of 15

The gum idea works really well! I had gained a lot of weight - between tasting and experimenting, but have been working hard on losing it and the gum works!!! thumbs_up.gif

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 12:12am
post #10 of 15

I manage just fine....five pounds in my right butt cheek and another in my left butt cheek!!

Actually I make sure to get out and walk. I have lost 25 pounds recently just walking each day. Make some healthy choices. Everyone needs to taste to make sure they are selling a great product, but just keep a check on it!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Dec 2010 , 1:11am
post #11 of 15

I never eat the cake and I hate the icing.I spit it out if I get any one me...I guess you get so used to being around cake,icing etc you don't want to eat it after a while....I don't even bake for my family often because I don't feel like it after a week of cakes and they don't need it!! LOL

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 4:34pm
post #12 of 15

I can't blame my weight issues on cake. I was heavy from puberty on, and that was long before cakes.

I wouldn't stress over 5lbs myself, as long as you can keep it at that. If you think it is because of cake, then try the things suggested above, such as the gum and brushing your teeth or using a strong mouthwash before you bake. Another thing would be wear gloves.

If it is a hunger issue then make sure you don't skip meals while you are baking and have a healthy snack present that you can nibble on. If it is a habit issue, then the above things should help.

Have you cut back on exercise or become less active? Kicking that up a little or adding in some exercise will help cross out the extra calories you may be taking in from the cakes.

There have been a few threads that have popped up in the past about weight gain and cakes. Honestly I think unless you are eating a ton of cake and icing every week, that there are probably other things that are factoring in. Lack of sleep can contrubite to weight gain, which we know can happen to cakers when you have a big order and not enough hours during the day to do. Lack of exercise can factor in. When you are spending late nights in the kitchen, are you exercising any? Did you grab something quick and fast to eat, over healthy to give you more time for baking/decorating? Stress can also play a factor into weight gain, especially if ya tend to calm your nerves with food. I also read something earlier about different meds playing affect into weight gain.

So while it could be cakes, there may be other things at play that are adding up to the extra pounds.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 4:40pm
post #13 of 15

if you're just tasting your baking, then don't swallow. Chew it to make sure that it taste ok, then spit it out. You don't gain the weight then.

I am one that chews wintergreen gum when baking. And i always have a healthy snack on the counter (peanuts, raisens, fruit, etc...) that way when i want to snack on the sweets i just grab a healthy snack instead.

MamaNenascakes Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 5:06pm
post #14 of 15

Thank you all for the tips! I'm excited to try all of them as soon as I'm back inthe states in January! I'll have to start being better after Christmas

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 5:10pm
post #15 of 15

You can also join us on the Chunky Monkey thread for support. icon_smile.gif

I'll be focusing in on my weight loss come Jan 3.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%