My First Complete "cake Wreck"

Decorating By ChunkkeeMunkkee Updated 17 Dec 2010 , 9:39pm by debster

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 21

My Hubby's Holiday Party is coming up and I get nominated to make a cake. I'm thinking GREAT! Then he tells me it's a replica cake. I can not do replica work to save my life. I am a free hand decorator. If I can just run with it I am good, to make detail on top of detail that HAS to be a certain way... I can't do it. Suffering a massive anxiety attack here. I have a little reputation for Novelty cakes and my name will be associated with this one and I am MORTIFIED. I wish I was an Ostrich so I can bury my head in the sand. icon_sad.gif Just venting.... Pics will come later. I promise. SMH but I failed miserably....

20 replies
kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 21

I refuse to put myself through that kind of stress for a cake. I recently had a bride bring a picture of a cake she wanted done "only in hexagon". It was covered in fondant--I told her I didn't do much fondant work, and really didn't think I could pull off covering 3 hexagons with fondant and have them look respectable....thanked her for thinking of me, but no.

She talked it over with her groom and came back to me, agreed to use buttercream and off we went. The cake turned out great, everyone was happy and I didn't shave another 3 years off my life stressing over a cake.

Learn to speak up for yourself, say no when necessary and save yourself a world of stress...it simply isn't worth the pain.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 21

If I understand correctly, the cake isn't done yet???? Without knowing what the cake has to have a replica of, is it possible to make several copies on your printer of what it is you have to replicate, then cut out the largest piece from the photo and use it as a pattern to cut it out of fondant. Then cut the next higher piece and do the same, and continue that way til you have all the pieces stacked. I'm not sure I'm saying this correctly, but we have done that with some of our cakes. And if the piece is too large for the width of the paper, I turn the paper sideways, hold it up to the computer screen and trace the picture. I did that for a stained glass window cake I'm doing for this Sunday. With two sheets of paper (overlapping) I was able to blow up the photo to perfectly fit my 11 x 15 pan.

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 21

I looked at your photo gallery, and I'm willing to bet money that you are being WAY too hard on yourself. Your work is fabulous, and I bet your cake is too. Can't wait to see the photo's... so I can say I told you so! icon_biggrin.gif

ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 6:11am
post #5 of 21

I am making a replica of a Chicago Transit Authority Bus 3D. It's standing, and the front and passenger loading areas are done. It looks so bad I just stopped. Too many factors went wrong. My scaling is off, WAY off, and I am using a new fondant that I have never used before. Lots of sagging and elephant skin and I absolutely destroyed this. Trust me... I will have a finished photo of it in about 9 hrs. I think Hubby thought I could do more, and I led myself to believe it and my skill set is so not there. Kansaslaura, you are so very right. I need to say no. And to be honest, I don't even want to decorate any more. i keep getting sucked into these projects because I am trying to make every one happy. But people just criticize anyway. We had a meeting tonight for the organization I made my 1st topsy turvy cake. It was a pot luck and I am known for killer cupcakes. The lady that organized it called and TOLD me what to bring to this pot luck. I was not allowed to bring desserts. Turns out she was jealous and was trying to upstage my presentation. Well, needless to say it didn't happen. And thats what I have... haters, nit pickers, and people expecting a miracle in cake. I think I am done caking after this bus crashes and burns.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 6:54am
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkkeeMunkkee

I am making a replica of a Chicago Transit Authority Bus 3D. It's standing, and the front and passenger loading areas are done. It looks so bad I just stopped.

Holy smoke...a 3D BUS??? Do they think you're Duff Goldman? I would not have accepted this unless I was really confident in my skills in this genre. I wonder what they would have done had you said no. Are you being paid for it? If not, then I would give them a carved flat 2D sheet cake instead of going for the 3D effect. I doubt seriously they would have spent the thousand or so dollars (Ace of Cakes start at $1,000)someone else would charge to do something of that magnitude and detail. Good luck!

cownsj Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 21

I would have to say too, if your cake is really coming out as like you say (I don't doubt you, I just know I hate every cake I work on until a few days after it's done), then redo it in a way that works for you.

You do wonderful work, don't quit cakes, just do what you want to do, and when you want to do them. You are allowing yourself to be pushed out of doing cakes because you are good. It's a positive that people are jealous of your talent. And if someone wants any cake you don't feel confident you can do properly, then tell them how you can bring their idea to life in a way that works for you. If that isn't good enough for them, then let them go someplace else.. You have to be good to yourself first so you can enjoy doing your cakes, and continue to grow in your abilities. If they want a specific idea, like here, a bus, then do as carmijok says and redo the cake in 2 D with your embellishments on it. Don't commit to 3d, just let them know you understand they want their bus portrayed, and here is what I can do for you, period. If you can't do a 3D, you can't do it. And if they know that upfront, you lose tons of stress and they aren't expecting something unrealistic as well.

Good luck, wish we were all there to help you with this one.

visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 21

I agree with everyone else. You are a talented decorater, and I don't think you should give up.

Toss out the design they want you to do, and do a design that you want to do, that is the same guidelines. If its not what they wanted tough noogies. I bet if you gave them a design that you did yourself, that will blow them away which i am positive you can do, they will forget about what they asked you to do.

It sounds like you are not getting paid. If your not getting paid do it your way.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 2:57pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:

... I get nominated to make a cake ...

So does this mean that this is a FREEBIE!?! If you're not happy with the cake you have, make the cake you want and bring it instead. Anyone unhappy with it can pay you (or someone else) the money that goes with a 3D bus cake next year.

If you want to do car cakes in the future, I must recommend that you get Mike McCarey's Cakenology Vol 1 DVD. It is amazing, and really transformed the the quality (and the price icon_biggrin.gif ) of my car cakes!

cownsj Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:04pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupadeecakes

Quote:

... I get nominated to make a cake ...

So does this mean that this is a FREEBIE!?! If you're not happy with the cake you have, make the cake you want and bring it instead. Anyone unhappy with it can pay you (or someone else) the money that goes with a 3D bus cake next year.

If you want to do car cakes in the future, I must recommend that you get Mike McCarey's Cakenology Vol 1 DVD. It is amazing, and really transformed the the quality (and the price icon_biggrin.gif ) of my car cakes!

I love Mike McCarey. I think I would pay him for the privilege of being able to work with him.....

Woodruffbn1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Woodruffbn1 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 4:43pm
post #11 of 21

Your cakes are very pretty! Dont quit baking!

ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 5:32pm
post #12 of 21

Well, my disaster is up. Don't laugh it looks like a kid did it. I am so glad it's DONE and I can move on with my life.

Ali3971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ali3971 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 5:39pm
post #13 of 21

I cnat believe you called that a disaster!! You ARE your biggest critic! It looks amazing I am very impressed! You should do more work like this bc despite how much anxiety it caused you did a fantastic job on it!

visionsofprisms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
visionsofprisms Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 5:40pm
post #14 of 21

OMG, I need to come bat you upside the head. That cake is wonderful. You need to stop being so hard on yourself.

That is not a cake wreck at all. If you want cake wrecks look at half of my cakes.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 5:45pm
post #15 of 21

Your bus turned out wonderfully! Don't be so hard on yourself!

cownsj Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 6:19pm
post #16 of 21

Holy Crap! I'll take your cake wrecks anyday. OMG, that came out fantastic. I want to see the kid who could make that. If they don't go nuts over this cake, then nothing will do it for them.

Do me a favor, in a couple days, go back and look at the picture, as a whole and try not to see any "mistakes" you know you may have there and see if you can see the beautiful job you did on this cake. You blew me away with it. CONGRATULATIONS! Oh, and let hubby keep pushing you into this kind of accomplishment. icon_biggrin.gif

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 6:49pm
post #17 of 21

holy bus-a-moly!!! I have four words for you... I. Told. You. So! (see my previous post) icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

cownsj Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 7:27pm
post #18 of 21

I have to say, this is one time when I believe the DH really does see the talents of his wife more than she does. I thought it was a myth, but I think we have an actual spotting here.

josweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josweets Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 9:04pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

I have to say, this is one time when I believe the DH really does see the talents of his wife more than she does. I thought it was a myth, but I think we have an actual spotting here.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

TickleMySweetTooth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickleMySweetTooth Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 9:32pm
post #20 of 21

wow your bus is awesome.. I agree with others, you are WAY to hard on yourself. GREAT JOB!!!!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 9:39pm
post #21 of 21

Cakes ARE stressful!!!! I feel your pain. Each mess up makes us to know what not to do the next time. Don't give up!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%