How To Transport A Cake Without Ruining It

Decorating By lalaine Updated 21 Jan 2007 , 12:14am by Birdlady

lalaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lalaine Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 12:07am
post #1 of 4

i take cakes to work all the time--one or 2 cake-mix sizes. no problem.
but last week i made a practice 14 inch cake in case i do a wedding cake, lots of people have been asking me to do one and i'm scared, never done one that large.
some of my fears were allayed--it cooked evenly throughout, was easy enough to stack the layers and decorate, no real problems. until it came time to put it in the car.
i dont have a box or pan or anything large enough to put it on, so i just put it on a towel in the back of my suv so it wouldnt slip around, and drove very carefully.
but when i arrived, there were some shallow cracks in the icing across the top, and some bulges on the sides, that werent there when i left home.
i'm assuming the jiggling and vibration in the car caused this.
glad to know now, rather than when delivering a real wedding cake!

so, how does everyone transport their larger cakes without having cracking or bulging issues? i was thinking about maybe buying 1/2 inch foam rubber, or something else like it that would absorb the shock and jiggling of the car's movements. or egg crate that they use on hospital beds? maybe covered with non skid bath mat so the cake doesnt slide and hit the side of the car.

any suggestions would be appreciated, as i'm probably going to make a few wedding cakes this summer.

3 replies
Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 12:11am
post #2 of 4

Refridgerate until the last second, chill the car, box the cake tiers in individual boxes, set on nonstick, drive like granny, and hope for the best.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 12:13am
post #3 of 4

I use the rubberized shelf liner from The Dollar Store! Roll it out and set your cake on it! It WILL NOT move! I love it! I also will use a super extra large sheet cake box (I always have these on hand) of course with the shelf liner inside and underneath the box. So far, no problems. That INCLUDES the time the 18 wheeler ran me off the road when I was transporting a wedding cake 65 miles away!!

Beth in KY

Birdlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Birdlady Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 12:14am
post #4 of 4

I go to the wal mart and buy the rubber shelving rolls. I put this donw on the floor of my van and load the cakes in on top. They will not more.

As for the bulges, usually this is because you have air trapped inside. All you need is a pin and some viva. Insert the pin in a few places and then rub with the viva to remove the air and you will never know that it was there. Cracks, were they open or just in the surface. I get the surface ones all the time. It can be due to the movement of the car or usually just the humidity. Not too much to be done about those. That being said, I have read on CC that you can add a few drops of vinegar to your BC and this will avoid them.

Good luck, Let me know if I can help any other way

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%