Bitter Red Icing

Baking By gdsloane Updated 17 Dec 2010 , 3:36pm by Chasey

gdsloane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdsloane Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 13

Help!. I colored BC icing with Red (no taste) color. It still came out bitter.
Does anyone know of a way to correct it. icon_sad.gif

12 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 13

Could we see the recipe?

You could always just try adding some more vanilla or almond to it.

GeminiCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiCake Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 13

I dye mine pink first, then red (less red, less bitter taste)

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 13

You used Wilton No Taste Red? I used an entire jar of that in my all butter buttercream recipe that I used French Vanilla coffee syrup in as the flavoring when I made Elmo's fur. No bitterness at all!

What are the ingredients in your icing recipe?

gdsloane Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 13

Unfortunately Wilton did'nt have the red I wanted when I ordered it, so I got the color from The Baker's Kitchen.
It's Chef Master (no Taste) gel. I Used a basic BC recepie w/ coconut flavoring. I'm starting to regret it. I don't have a supply store near me...so I do all my supply shopping online. I'm thinking about just spraying the color on. I'm making a Lipstick cake and the color my client wanted of course was magenta. So I mixed a red with a deep pink. The Event is This Sat. And I'm stuck on this....

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 13

I know it's too late for now , but invest in some Americolor Super Red I hear they sell the regular size ones at Hobby Lobby now. It gets darker the longer it sits in the fridge and even darker when it dries on cake. It doesn't change the icing flavor either. That's been the only red for me since I found it here on CC.

gdsloane Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 9:35pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks debster....

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 13

For red and black I use ONLY Americolor. Instead of a whole jar of Wilton's, you can use only drops of Americolor and get the same results.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 10:55pm
post #9 of 13

I have used Americolor for a long time with no problems, but recently noticed a strange taste. I don't know if my bottle of red is too old or what, so I ordered a new one.

racechick311x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
racechick311x Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 11:13pm
post #10 of 13

I too have had the bitter issue with the wilton red and black and now I only use americolor and have't had an issue with it! So glad our local Hobby Lobby now sells it!

gdsloane Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 11:44pm
post #11 of 13

Americolor huh....Thanks guys. I'll have to look for it online. No Hobby Lobby near me..

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 12:23am
post #12 of 13

I made some truffles the other day and used the peppermint chips I bought at Walmart and my chocolate came out red. I haven't used it in my buttercream yet, but I will be. Maybe grab a bag or two and add it in? The minty flavor might hide the bitter taste of the coloring and still keep your red.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:36pm
post #13 of 13

I agree that drops of Americolor are just as potent as an entire jar of Wilton gels! I have the Americolor Super Black and it works great. Haven't noticed a bitterness to that one yet. I'll be buying the Red as well! Too bad you don't have Hobby Lobby nearby. Coupons are awesome! Maybe you can find an online promo code for them.

Would your customer like peppermint with the coconut? I'm thinking your coconut flavoring isn't bold enough to cover up that bitterness. Too bad you couldn't turn that icing into chocolate!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%