Frozen Cake

Decorating By Balusekc Updated 17 Dec 2010 , 3:22pm by Debi2

Balusekc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Balusekc Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 6

Do I need to thaw my cake completely before adding buttercream and fondant? I forgot to set it out this morning. TIA

5 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 6

Hi, i say yes, i have had trouble in the past with icing falling off my cakes when not thawed completely. Others may say different.

caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 3:00am
post #3 of 6

On fabulous cakes, one of the ladys frosted the cake with b/c, froze it then covered it with fondant while it was ROCK hard.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 3:36am
post #4 of 6

Yes, i frost my layers, then freeze , then put fondant on. This question was, do i need to thaw my cake( i took it as cake layers that she had frozen) before i apply b/c and fondant. If my layers are frozen, i let them thaw BEFORE i add b/c and fondant.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 16 Dec 2010 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 6

I ice semi frozen. If you defrost completely you could end up with a mess on your hands. Let it sit unwrapped about 15 minutes then level and/or torte, fill, and crumb ice. The semi frozen cake will harden the crumb ice without having to replace in the fridge or freezer. Apply a generous layer of BC or fondant. I do when working with fondant rechill in the freezer after I crumb coat only to give a hard surface. That way if the fondant decides to have a mind of its own, I can easily peel it off and re-knead & roll it again and the BC doesn't peel off the cake or become damaged to the extent of repairs being necessary.

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

I ice semi frozen. If you defrost completely you could end up with a mess on your hands. Let it sit unwrapped about 15 minutes then level and/or torte, fill, and crumb ice. The semi frozen cake will harden the crumb ice without having to replace in the fridge or freezer. Apply a generous layer of BC or fondant. I do when working with fondant rechill in the freezer after I crumb coat only to give a hard surface. That way if the fondant decides to have a mind of its own, I can easily peel it off and re-knead & roll it again and the BC doesn't peel off the cake or become damaged to the extent of repairs being necessary.

I was curious, how is your fondant able to stick to the hardened/crusted buttercream? Are you misting it before applying the fondant layer? I love the idea of putting the crumb coat in the freezer, that seems like it would make life alot easier when applying the fondant! I'm going to have to give that a try myself. In the past, I've just put it in the fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%