UpAt2am Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 7:31pm
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by cai0311

Quote:
Quote:

technically a true red velvet cake has cocoa in it. that's why one would get the hint of chocolate cake.

do you just make the WASC and tint it red? if so, that's not a red velvet cake. although it probably tastes better !!!

The cake mix I start with is Red Velvet. So yes, it technically is a Red Velvet cake.

I know there is a hint of chocolate cocoa in the cake, but when made from scratch there is a lot a cocoa and that is where the mostly chocolate taste comes from.

On this site WASC is the universal term for any flavor made using those directions and quantities of ingredients. Doesn't mean the cake is Almond flavored.

my bad i suppose...but WASC stands for White Almond Sour Cream I thought, so that's why i asked. i truly don't care what recipe anyone uses...to each their own! icon_smile.gif

Cakeman Raven's recipe only has 1 tsp. cocoa in it. Have you tried his recipe? YUM

i've seen his, but it's still a lot of coloring, and for me, it's just not my thing! it certainly gets great reviews tho!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 7:36pm
post #32 of 43

I agree it's a lot of color, and if you cut the amount of color in half, it comes out exactly the same. The next time we make his RV, we're going to see how it look using just a 1/4 of the amount in the recipe first; we can always add more to the batter, but this recipe colors quickly and easily.

TickleMySweetTooth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickleMySweetTooth Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 8:12pm
post #33 of 43

So talked to my friend today.. She said the cake was AWESOME.. one of the bests cakes she has ever had.. SO that was great to hear! She said everyone raved about it icon_biggrin.gif

TickleMySweetTooth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TickleMySweetTooth Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 8:13pm
post #34 of 43

And ya I agree with cutting down color. I actually only used 2tsp of the red gel.. I find no need for a full 2TB.. just kinda crazy amount to be honest.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 8:13pm
post #35 of 43

The taste of red velvet isn't bad, but, I'm not a huge fan of it either. I have 3 orders that want red velvet cake this weekend and one was a 3-tiered wedding cake!! icon_eek.gif I had to convince her that MAYBE she shouldn't make the whole thing RV because everybody doesn't like RV; thank goodness she listened to me!!

I didn't have RV on my menu at first; people kept requesting it and other places had it, so, I tried a recipe and it was a hit!! But, after this weekend, I will be taking it off of the menu!! Just don't enjoy making it for some reason!! Plus, those little bottles of red food coloring can get expensive (3.00 per bottle in my area)

cat2512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cat2512 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 8:49pm
post #36 of 43

I don't understand what all the hoopla is about red velvet. How could anyone not like it? I love red velvet cakes and this is my step-father's FAVORITE cake, so we always have one for his birthday. I have never made one from scratch, so maybe this is why so many do not like it, but I have used the box recipe and they are always good.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 17 Dec 2010 , 9:00pm
post #37 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAt2am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cai0311

Red Velvet cake is my favorite cake. I use WASC recipe for it and use white chocolate pudding for the pudding part. I have never understood why people think the cake tastes like "chocolate cake but red".

technically a true red velvet cake has cocoa in it. that's why one would get the hint of chocolate cake.

do you just make the WASC and tint it red? if so, that's not a red velvet cake. although it probably tastes better icon_smile.gif !!!

The history of Red Velvet is interesting and explains the "hint of chocolate" flavor. RV has only been around since WWII when chocolate was being rationed (not sure why it would be rationed, but anyways...) Bakeries started making their usual chocolate cakes but with a lot less cocoa, so in order to get the darker color of a true chocolate cake they used beets or beet juice in the recipes. Right after the rationing ended, the bakeries quickly dropped the RV and went back to chocolate cake and intrestingly enough, RV didn't make a comeback until the movie "Steel Magnolias" wher there was a RV armadillo cake featured in the wedding reception scenes. I offer RV and make it doing the WASC recipe using one white cake mix and one chocolate cake mix, skipping the almond flavoring and adding about a TBs. of red color. I don't like it myself, but my customers sure do, so I will continue offering it as long as they want it.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 5:38pm
post #38 of 43

I don't add any extra red coloring. Since I start with a red velvet cake mix, the cake is already red.

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 6:07pm
post #39 of 43

I also do not like Red Velvet cake..to me it seems to have almost like a dog biscuit after taste..but some people LOVE it!!

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 6:10pm
post #40 of 43

Hello, I'm new here! I found this site when looking for pictures of poinsettia cupcakes, because today I'm making red velvet cupcakes decorated with icing poinsettias as Christmas gifts for all my neighbors. I had no idea there were so many people who don't like red velvet!!! I hope my neighbors aren't among the red velvet haters, 'cause the cupcakes are already baked. icon_biggrin.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 20 Dec 2010 , 6:15pm
post #41 of 43

Add me to the list of haters. Won't make it. Won't eat it. tapedshut.gif

justducky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justducky Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 1:03am
post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by multilayered

I also do not like Red Velvet cake..to me it seems to have almost like a dog biscuit after taste..but some people LOVE it!!

I love the dog biscuit analogy! lol

NancyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NancyS Posted 21 Dec 2010 , 1:18am
post #43 of 43

I recently had someone request a RV cake...I tried the Confetti Cakes recipe. The amount of red food colouring that goes into it is awful! I feel guilty pouring it in. The cake definitely tasted chocolaty (it had cocoa in it), but it was not a taste that I liked. I have made way better scratch recipes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%