Substitute For Extruder?! What To Use For Tassle

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 15 Dec 2010 , 5:19pm by cai0311

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 3:44am
post #1 of 6

I was trying to put the spring from my extruder in when it went flying somewhere on the main floor of my house. icon_surprised.gif I have searched high and low and cannot find it anywhere! I cannot justify a new one right now, nor could I order it in time. Plus, my Dad is coming to visit in less than 2 weeks and I know he'll be able to fix it - he's super handy!
Problem is: I need to make a tassle for a bookmark tomorrow. How can I make a nice one without an extruder? I have quite a few tools and perhaps there is something I'm not considering.
Thanks for your help!

5 replies
sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 3:55am
post #2 of 6

A garlic press might do the trick.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 3:59am
post #3 of 6

Brilliant - hadn't thought of that! Will give it a go....

NatalieC923 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieC923 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 4:28am
post #4 of 6

I didn't have time to get an extruder for a recent cake either, so I went to Walmart (don't know if you have one) and bought a Play Dough set that had an extruder-like attachment. The specific set I got was called Burger Builder. It was only $10 and worked like a charm.

beesweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beesweetcakes Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 7:07am
post #5 of 6

Yep, a garlic press! I used mine today for the tassels on a pillow cake. One of my favorite tools.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 6

I use my garlic press all the time for the same thing. It also makes good "hair" for fondant models.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%