Filling In Dips With 'gunge'?

Decorating By zespri Updated 15 Dec 2010 , 1:19am by zespri

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 14 Dec 2010 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 2

Hi folks

I covered a cake last night which will be the top cake on a triple tier. I guess there were a couple of air bubbles that I didn't notice while rolling it out, because now there are some 'dips' (kind of like little craters) on top of the cake..... frustrating!

I have read a few times about using fondant with a bit of water to fill in cracks. Would this method also be suitable for my craters? If so, can anyone tell me how it's done? Do I use hot water? What sort of consistency? How do I apply, do I pipe it? How would I get the surface smooth afterwards?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, it's my first wedding cake so I'd like it to be smoother.

P.S. I got the term 'grunge' from this old thread if anyone is interested:

1 reply
zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 15 Dec 2010 , 1:19am
post #2 of 2

*bump* anyone? I'm leaving work soon to go home and try and fix it, so if anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them before I commence the repair job...

Quote by @%username% on %date%