Need Help Handling Cake Tasting Fees.

Business By Dreme Updated 8 Jan 2014 , 1:31am by scrumdiddlycakes

CPR0813 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CPR0813 Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 1:03am
post #31 of 33

I was shocked to see people charging for cake tasting also...I am not sure why and unless you are in an area where there is no competition I think people will more go with the experts what that are confident with their products not to charge. As a bride I want to do a cake tasting to choose the best tasting cake no matter what the price so who want to pay 20-30 dollars for every cake tasting to find the perfect cake

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 1:10am
post #32 of 33

A

Original message sent by CPR0813

I was shocked to see people charging for cake tasting also...I am not sure why and unless you are in an area where there is no competition I think people will more go with the experts what that are confident with their products not to charge. As a bride I want to do a cake tasting to choose the best tasting cake no matter what the price so who want to pay 20-30 dollars for every cake tasting to find the perfect cake

It's been my experience that if someone balks at paying $20-30 for a tasting, they are probably more price-sensitive and won't be willing to pay for a premium product. It's not about confidence, it's about being reasonably compensated for your time. And if it was about confidence, one could argue that charging for a tasting is a sign of being more confident in their product since customers presumably have no problem paying (otherwise the baker would not be able to charge).

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 8 Jan 2014 , 1:31am
post #33 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPR0813 

This is a very old thread, just so you know.

In regard to your comment though, I live in an area with a lot of competition, and that doesn't stop people from paying.
It has nothing to do with a lack of confidence in my baking, quite the opposite actually. I don't have the time to go around baking free cake, or spending time on tastings for brides who are just shopping around.
A lot of us will put that money towards the total if you book with us, and if it's over a minimum amount, but not all.

You wouldn't expect a plumber to spend his own money, and a couple hours working on your stuff for free, just to show you he does good work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%